The survivors

What is left of our neighbor pack trails onto the lawn of our pack house. Their caravan of five cars and an RV line up in front of the house. It's the morning after we were told they were coming and even the alpha is surprised that they are here already. 

Scar drove me here in what I can only describe as a hellish ride. If I know him right he had hoped to be out in the woods running all day, but Simon said as soon as we came that Scar had to stay locked up with his mother, learning how to act gentler. As if he could. 

I admire his mother's endurance but I doubt there is anything in the world that could make Scar gentle. He is brute, crude and... horrible. I sometimes wonder if he's acctually evil. That wouldn't surprise me. I wonder if how many people he's killed. 

 A young girl with dark skin and an armour of deep breaths inhaled during the last hours comes up to us. She is the daughter of Ilena's alpha and she smiles sadly with eyes so dry you would think she never cried. I can't stop looking at her sorrow. It is shown upon her face as a mark of pride and she carries it with every mourning breath she takes. 

I too know what it's like to carry sadness that seeps through every crack in your armour. Although she carries it with much more honor than me. 

"My mother is in the RV with the wounded" she explaines to our alpha. Simon looks at her with total shock. 

"I was told she died; is she-" he starts but she interrupts him. 

"My other mother, the luna is in the RV. Mom... the alpha sadly passed" she tells us with voice heavy as steel. 

"A true tagedy. She will be rememberd and missed" my alpha states. 

I have no idea what I'm doing here. Scar was not allowed because he might scare them, but the alpha wanted me to attend for some reason. I stand patiently and quietly beside him dressed in a annoyingly fluffy sweater that I think belongs to Dana. I look like a sheep. 

"Where should I tell them to settle down for the time being?" she asks the alpha. Her face is still that of a child's but her eyes glitter with the sorrow of adulthood. 

"The pack house is open for all so just rest there for the time being. I'm sure you're all tired and there are plenty of rooms. My mother is in the kitchen preparing food for you so please ask for whatever you need" he instructs her while sounding like a comforting father. Alphas are good at that.  

"Thank you" she says and tells that to an older woman who starts pointing people to the door. "I'm Nala" she states proudly, turning back to my alpha. 

"I'm Simon, tha alpha of this pack" he introduces himself, and this is Elmer, he is the mate of my uncle, the dark one" he answers and puts a hand on my back. Though he doesn't say anyhting I can tell he's ordering me to be as friendly as possible. I smile my safest smile and beam at her like a cute little angel. 

"Nice to meet you, I wish the circomstances were better. I'm sorry for you loss" I mumble shyly and carefully take her hand. To my relief no alpha power streams through her grip, insted I find a mysterious energy. 

The dark eyes scrutenize me trying to decide what to make of my cutesy appearnce against the fact that my mate is a dark one. 

"Me too" she finally says without taking her eyes off me. "If I may ask, and I know this is innappropriate, but I'm sure you understand why. What is he like?" 

Well isn't that a difficult question. I twist under her stare and find myself unable to answer. The alpha sqeezes my shoulder but I can't find any good lies. No one ever asks me this. 

"Cassian is a wonderful wolf. He's calm and collected, not violent at all" the alpha butts in with another sqeeze to me. I draw a shaky breath and collect the crumbs he lays out for me. 

"Right, he's not violent at all. He's never done anything to anyone" I mumble. Her stare is unwavering as she looks at me. "Truly, I'm happy to have him as my mate. He's always taken good care of me" I lie, better this time. Simon chimes in. 

"They were mated several years ago when Elmer was just a child. Cassian was very careful and caring until Elmer came of age. We're acctually celebrating them soon with a ceremony. In a few days you will all get to witness the magnificent love of a dark one" he adds quietly as if sharing a secret. 

I bow my head in shame of the memory. My hands curl into tight balls and ice climbs into my chest as I fall back into the dark, cold night. I hope she's not looking at me because I can feel salty tears forming in the corners of my eyes. 

"We would all like to see that very much" she says quietly. Her eyes lie heavy on me but her own demons dance behind her eyes.