The binding of Cassian

Elmer's POV 

Simon is the first to reach him. Cassian's lonely figure sits out there on the cliff looking like he is about to fall in. He looks so little so far away. I hurry over the plain along the edge of the rift. 

I try to mindlink him but he doesn't seem to hear me. Simon shifts and grabs him dragging him away from the edge. Nala shifts by a little pile of clothes and pulls his dress shirt on before hurrying over to Simon. 

I stop by his clothes like Nala did but I stay in wolf shape and just look at them. The knife falls out of my mouth. My jaw is sore from clutching it. I don't know if I want to see him again. I had just decided that I could live without him and I don't want to hurt again. I still resent him. 

"Elmer!" Simon calls and I shift, pulling on Cassuan's underpants which are the only clothes left. I shiver as I hurry to them with the knife in my hand. What should I do? 

"I think he has taken something. He's not answering me and I'm not sure he can even tell we are here. I caught him just as he was about to fall in" Simon informs me and I nod. 

Looking at Cassian I can tell he doesn't look good. Whatever he has taken it is not something good. 

"This is bad. This is very bad. I think we might be to late" Simon suggests and starts crying. "I don't think we can save him now." 

"So what is our other option?" Nala asks and places her hand on Simon's shoulder. 

"Killing him. But that would be very dangerous and there is no garantee that I can" he confesses. 

"I know" she says and squeezes his shoulder tighter. 

"What do you mean? Just rip his throat out" I tell them but the words don't feel right as they come out. 

"The dark is not just some anger hidining in his mind, it is a state that takes over the entire body. If I try to kill him it will take over, fight its way out and propably kill me. Even just this whatever he has taken might cause it to break free" Simon tells me urgently, searching for a solution in his own words. 

"So he can't die?" I say sarcastically. 

"Not as easily as we can" Nala states. 

"I have to try to stop him. He wouldn't want me to stand by and let this happen. I will try to calm him down if it tries to take over him. If I fail I will try to push him over the cliff. But you two have to run away" Simon orders us. 

"Simon, no" Nala begs him, taking his hand. 

"I am sorry, this is the only way" he says and leans his head against hers and whispers something. 

One little tear makes it way down her cheek but she stands up ready to go. 

"Go on, Elmer. You have done your part" Simon says, his face apologetic and fatherly at the same time. 

I don't know what to do. I don't want to stay here and die by Cassian's darkness. But I also don't want to leave him here to die either. 

Before I can make my choice my mate lifts his face and opens his eyes. They are pure, pitch black. Even the white around his irises is gone. Two dark orbs look at me and I shiver down to my bone. 

"Why does he look like that?" I blurt out staggering backwards and falling on my butt in the snow. 

"I don't know. I've never seen it but I don't know everything. Just what Grandma has told me" Simon rambles and grabs Cassian's arm as he sits up. Cassian is staring at me with those forsaken black eyes and I lose it.