Chapter 1

"Goddammit, Yui! Fight back! Don't just stand there!"

"Lyra, stop yelling! It's just a show."

"You're yelling, too!"

"Don't argue with me!"

Jeremy McNamara shook his head at the antics between his daughter and his husband. He ruffled his daughter's curly copper hair before sitting down beside her on the couch and asking, "What are you shouting about, sweetheart?"

Lyra looked at her dad with a smile before gesturing at the screen, "Yui, the girl, just sits there and lets all of the fucking vampires drink her blood, not even attempting to stop them."

Jeremy looked at the tv to look at the vampire in the anime, "If I met a vampire that hot, I'd let them drink my blood as much as he wants."

Lyra snorted in amusement before nudging him, "Dad, your gay is showing."

"I've been married to your father for fifteen years and you're just telling me my gay is showing."

"Yep."

"I-"

Her father was cut off by a loud meow as an orange tabby cat jumped up into his daughter's lap. "Obi!" She chirped happily, getting a small meow in reply.

Jeremy watched with a small smile at his daughter's reaction to the cat. Though, as much as he loved her being home all the time, he was worried about her. She really needed some friends. "Lyra, sweetheart..." He began.

Lyra looked up from her cat, her bright smile dissipating as she heard the serious tone of his voice. She knew what he was going to say. "I'm fine, Dad, really."

"I know, sweetheart, but you should be out with friends on your weekends, not sitting at home watching anime."

"I'm fine."

"Lyra, you need to make some friends."

Lyra frowned, hugging Obi to her as she replied in a defensive tone, "I have friends."

Jeremy raised a brow, "You mean that Cullen girl?"

Lyra nodded, "Alice is my friend. Kind of. I mean, we get along well... I guess?"

Jeremy was not impressed by Lyra's attempt at defending herself, "You really need some friends."

"I'm fine."

"You keep saying that, sweetheart, and I'm not anymore convinced than I was the first time you said it."

"Dad-"

"It's just ever since Elliot started studying abroad, you've been so alone, and I'm worried, sweetheart."

"I know, Dad, but I really am-"

Lyra was cut off by the door bell ringing. "I got it!" She called, making sure both of her dads heard her. Lyra opened the front door to see Charlie Swan, her neighbor, standing before her. "Hey, Charlie!" She greeted cheerfully, "What can I do for you?"

Charlie smiled at the cheerful girl before him, her enthusiasm was infectious. "I am leaving to pick up Bella and I was wondering if you wanted to come with me." When Charlie saw the confused look on the girl's face, he quickly added, "You don't have to, I mean you've already done so much to help me out with this, but I thought it would be good for Bella to have a familiar face with her at school."

Lyra looked back at her dads, who were clearly listening to her conversation, to see them nodding for their heads enthusiastically. She turned back to Charlie with a smile, "Yeah, okay. Just let me grab my bag."