Chapter 38

Lyra frowned as she listened to Bella's teeth chattering due to the low temperatures that night. She burrowed her face into Seth's warm fur, wishing that she could figure out a way to help her friend. She would get up and try and warm Bella up herself but she knew that if she left the tent her and Seth were sharing, she'd be just as cold as Bella.

Meanwhile, Edward watched Bella's shivering form helplessly while listening to Lyra's worried thoughts until Jacob appeared, unzipping the tent and poking his head in. "I can't sleep with all that teeth-chattering going on." He said, inviting himself inside the tent. Bella spared him a glance as she hugged her arms around herself.

Edward looked at her sadly, until his eyes sharpened in annoyance and he turned to glare at Jacob. "Forget it." He told him stiffly.

"She may need her toes someday." Jacob pointed out, "And let's face it... I am hotter than you." Lyra, who had been listening to the conversation, rolled her eyes, knowing that Jacob had phrased it that way just to get a rise out of the vampire. As Jacob made a move toward Bella, Edward was quick to reach out and grab his shoulder roughly. "Get your hand off of me." He spat at the vampire.

"Keep your hands off of her." Edward hissed threateningly.

"D-don't fight." Bella stuttered through chattering teeth, looking at them with eyes heavy with exhaustion.

Jacob huffed and shot Edward a look, "If she get's sick, it's on you."

Lyra sighed and thought loud enough that she knew Edward would hear her, "Just let him warm her up. We both know I don't like Jacob very much right now, but he will prevent Bella from freezing to death. And, if he tries anything, kick him out and I'll send Seth over."

Edward, having heard Lyra's thoughts, finally nodded and allowed Jacob to pass. He quickly laid down beside the human girl, sliding his arm under her torso to pull her closer. Jacob's brows furrowed as her ice-cold skin came into contact with his. "Wow, you're freezing." He muttered, "Relax, Bella. You'll be warm soon." He smirked, looking at Edward pointedly as he told her, "It'd be quicker if you took your clothes off."

"Jake." Bella reprimanded, not humored by his snide comment.

"I'm just saying, though. Survival 101."

"He's not wrong, Eddie." Lyra thought loudly, "The less clothes, the less layers body heat has to go through, hence more body heat faster." Lyra smirked as she heard Edward groan in frustration.

"Shut up, Lyra." Edward muttered.

***

After Bella had fallen asleep, Lyra and Seth decided to listen in on Edward and Jacob's conversation. "Can you at least attempt to control your thoughts?" Edward asked. The two eavesdroppers let out huffs of amusement, both could only imagine the lustful thoughts Jacob had about the girl in his arms.

"I really get under that ice-cold skin of yours, don't I?" Jacob asked. He paused for a moment before continuing, "What? Are you doubting her feelings for you?" Edward's silence didn't surprise Jacob, but it did annoy him. "Nice." He said, "So picking through my brain's okay, but letting me into yours? Forget it." Jacob paused again before continuing, "Look... I know she's in love with you."

"Oh good." Edward said sarcastically.

"But she's in love with me too." Jacob continued, "She just won't admit it to herself."

This caused Lyra to roll her eyes and scoff. She didn't understand where Jacob had gotten this idea that Bella's love for him was anything but platonic. Yes, Bella loved Jacob, but it was only as a friend. She wanted nothing more than to have Jacob understand this and move on.