Chapter 57

The Cullen family, Lyra, and their witnesses walked into the open snow-covered field, the wolf shifters by their side at a safe distance aside from Jacob, Sam, and Seth.

Edward, Bella, Renesmee, and Jacob were front and center with Lyra, Emmett, and Seth right next to them. Sam was next to Seth but made sure to stay in front of the wolves.

"Aunt Lyra, what are you feeling right now?" Renesmee asked softly.

Lyra sent her a slight smile. "Uncertainty more than anything, Renesmee." She confessed, choosing not to lie to the girl.

Garrett stood next to Kate, "If we live through this, I'll follow you anywhere, woman."

Kate almost rolled her eyes, "Now you tell me."

Garrett's anxiety was clear on his face, "The Redcoats are coming! The Redcoats are coming!"

As the Volturi and their army come into the clearing, it is obvious that they easily double what the Cullens and their witnesses had. "Aro." Carlisle greeted the leader of the Volturi as he stepped forward, "Let us discuss things as we used to. In a civilized manner."

"Fair words, Carlisle. But a little out of place, given the battalion you've assembled against us."

"I can promise you, that was never my intent. No laws have been broken."

Caius was angered by that statement, "We see the child. Do not treat us as fools."

"She is not Immortal!" Carlisle told the Volturi, "These witnesses can attest to that. Or you can look. See the flush of human blood in her cheeks."

"Artifice!"

Aro held up his hand to stop Caius once more, "I will collect every facet of the truth. But from someone more central to the story. Edward, as the child clings to your newborn mate, I assume you are involved."

Aro took Edward's hand first and saw his memories, looking at Renesmee when he was finished, "I'd like to meet them."

Edward turned and looked at Bella and Renesmee. Bella looked at her best friend as they walked to Aro, along with Emmett and Jacob. Aro smiled at Bella. "Ah. Young Bella. Immortality becomes you." Aro then shrieked with laughter as he looked at Renesmee, "I hear her strange heart." Aro held his hand out and Renesmee stepped closer to him.

"Hello, Aro." Renesmee touched Aro's cheek, using her powers on him.

Aro's expression quickly became shocked, "Magnifico! Half mortal, half immortal. Conceived and carried by this newborn while she was still human."

"Impossible!" Caius exclaimed.

Aro turned to Caius, "Do you think they fooled me, brother?"

Lyra held Emmett's hand tightly as she began to walk back to the others, and she heard Jacob growl before he returned to Bella's side.

Caius never took his eyes off the girls. "Bring the informant forward." Felix and Demetrius pulled Irina to Caius and Aro, "Is this the child you saw?"

Irina hesitated, "I'm not sure."

"Jane." Caius signaled for the vampire to use her powers.

"She's changed." Irina said quickly, "This child is bigger,"

"Then your allegations were false."

"The Cullens are innocent. I take full responsibility for my mistake." Irina then looked at the Cullens and her family, "I'm sorry."

Felix stepped forward and hit Irina's neck, causing her head to fall off. Tanya moved forward but was stopped by Emmett, "Irina!" Caius then set fire to the rest of Irina's body, Kate and Tanya screamed and ran towards Aro and his army. Garrett grabbed Kate and refused to let her go, even when she used her power to electrocute him. Emmett managed to keep hold of Tanya no matter how much she fought.