Chapter 48

Lyra entered the Cullen household with a sigh of relief. No one was hurt and Renesmee was safe. As Lyra remembered Renesmee, she looked up and saw Rosalie entering the room with the baby. Lyra froze as she made eye contact with the baby. Renesmee reached out towards Lyra, causing the banshee to look up at Rosalie in surprise. "I think she wants you to hold her." The blonde told her friend.

Lyra slowly made her way towards the vampire-hybrid before gently taking her out of Rosalie's arms. Rosalie almost laughed when she saw the nervous look on Lyra's face and the gentle way she was holding Renesmee, like she was afraid that she was going to break the child if she held her too tightly.

After a few moments, Lyra relaxed and held Renesmee a little tighter. Renesmee reached her small hand up and touched it to Lyra's cheek. Lyra's eyes widened slightly as her mind was filled with an image of herself, clutching onto Bella's corpse with a tear-stained face. She was shouting about not leaving Bella.

Meanwhile, Emmett entered the room to find his mate holding Renesmee with a dazed look in her eyes, like she was seeing something no one else could. After a few moments, she blinked several times before looking down at Renesmee in amazement. A small smile spread across her face as she clutched the child closer to her, placing a soft kiss on her forehead. As he watched the interaction, a smile spread across his own face, and he couldn't help but think that Lyra would make an amazing mother even if she didn't want kids.

Lyra noticed that Jacob entered the room as well and was watching her carefully. Lyra placed a soft kiss on Renesmee's cheek before handing his imprint over to Jacob. Jacob gave her a grateful smile as he took Renesmee into his arms. Lyra turned around to face Emmett with a soft smile and she nodded her head towards the stairs before heading up them.

Emmett followed her up to his room and watched from the doorway as she plopped down onto his couch with a tired sigh. He made his way to her side and lifted her legs up so he could sit down on the couch, laying her legs across his lap once he was seated. She shuffled on the couch until her legs and head had switched places. Emmett began to play with her hair as she closed her eyes, mumbling about how tired she was. Moments passed and she was fast asleep.

***

Lyra sat on her couch at home staring at the television, but not watching the show her dads and Eris were so invested in. She was covered in what seemed like twenty different blankets but somehow she was still cold.

When Lyra had woken up the morning after the battle, she had gone downstairs and almost immediately stolen Renesmee from Jacob's grasp, reasoning that Bella would want her to take care of her daughter. Jacob relented and allowed Lyra to hold Renesmee as Esme made her food. He never left Lyra's side while she was holding the child, but Lyra didn't mind and understood that he was paranoid about 'Nessie's' safety.

Once Lyra had eaten, Carlisle informed her that the venom had taken hold and that Bella would be alright, though a vampire. Lyra had thanked Carlisle before getting up and leaving the house. Emmett followed her, asking where she was going, but she merely reassured him that she was only going home for a few days to take a break from the supernatural. She needed some time to breathe. Emmett was very understanding, but still offered to drive her there. She agreed and handed him her keys before they got into her car.

Once she was home, she gave Emmett a quick kiss before she went inside. She was immediately cornered by Eris, who dragged her upstairs and begged her to share what had happened. Lyra had told  her that she would explain everything later, which she did, but she wanted to have the chance to relax.

For the past three days, Emmett had been giving her space like she had asked. He texted her every morning and night to let her know that he was thinking about her but otherwise left her alone. He knew that she needed time to be away from the chaos of the supernatural world. He knew she needed time to process Bella's death and transformation. The one person who hadn't left her alone was Sam. He called her often enough to cause her to silence her phone. She didn't want to talk to him yet. She was so angry with him she didn't think she could form rational words.