Chapter 16

"I still can't believe they talked us into this." Bella grumbled as Lyra finished curling her hair for her.

"Well, one, they didn't really talk me into it, I was already planning on going, and two, they have a point." Lyra drawled as she turned to examine herself in the mirror. While both hers and Bella's dresses were blue, hers was far more extravagant than the brunettes. Her dress was made up of a mix of light and dark blue satin, flesh colored mesh, pearls, and navy blue embroidered flowers. The light blue satin covered her chest and made up the skirt that fell from her waist to the floor, fanning out slightly. The dark blue satin being used for the thin straps and the simple corset-like outline stitched onto the mesh. Pearls were placed meticulously across the bodice as navy embroidered flowers of varying sizes made up the right side of the bodice and part of the skirt. Alice had really outdone herself with the creation of this dress. "Prom is an important part of high school. And, our friends put a lot of work into it, so you should go for at least an hour."

"Yeah, but think of how many times we'll graduate high school over the years." Bella responded, "We'll have plenty of chances to go to proms."

Lyra's hands stilled as she had been fluffing her loose copper curls that fell over her shoulders, and she stared into her icy blue eyes in the mirror. "You plan on becoming a vampire, then?" She asked quietly.

Bella blinked. "Yeah." She said, as if it were obvious. Lyra gave Bella a look but didn't say anything.

Lyra simply applied a nude pink lipstick before walking towards the door and gesturing for Bella to follow. The two left Lyra's bedroom and made their way down the stairs where the others were waiting for them. Jeremy was the first person Lyra saw, but that was mostly because her dad hurried over with a massive grin, his husband trailing behind with a smile. "Oh, sweetheart, look at you!" He gushed, giving her a half-hug, "You both look so gorgeous!"

Lyra smiled in an almost bashful manner, looking down slightly before looking back up. She noticed Emmett staring at her with an almost awestruck look on his face that made her blush slightly. Bella looks down at the cast on her leg and grumbles about it before being cut off by Edward telling her that she looks perfect. This causes Bella to blush and smile slightly. Lyra and Emmett feign a gag before muttering in unison, "Simp." Edward and Bella gave the couple a small glare, causing them to laugh as Jeremy insisted on taking a picture of her and Emmett. Lyra sighed and gave into her dad's wishes.

Lyra moves around her papa to Emmett's side while her dad rushes to his room to grab a camera. "You look absolutely gorgeous." He murmurs in her ear as he puts a corsage on her wrist, causing her to smile. Jeremy rushes back into the room with his camera. Emmett wraps his arm around Lyra's shoulders and her fingers immediately reach up and tangle with his, showing off the corsage. Jeremy points his camera at the couple, saying, "Smile!" He snaps a picture as Emmett and Lyra put on their brightest grins.

After the picture, they walk over to join Edward and Bella so they could leave. "I'll take good care of her, Chief Swan." Edward was telling Charlie.

"Yeah... Heard that before." Charlie grumbled, giving Edward a dirty look.

Lyra sighed, placing her hand on Charlie's shoulder, "Charlie, I promise that if he hurts her again, I will chop his dick off." All of the men in the room flinched at the idea, however Charlie did nod his head in approval at the copper-haired girl, who was smiling sweetly. While Edward all but ran out the door, trying to get away from the banshee, knowing she wasn't kidding. Lyra patted his shoulder once more before following Edward out the door with Emmett right behind her, calling, "Come on, Eddie, it was a joke!"

***

When they arrived, Edward and Emmett left the girls to sit on the bench near the entrance while they went to park their respective cars. They were talking quietly when the sound of snapping twigs tore their attention away from the conversation they were having. Lyra tensed up for a moment before she noticed the familiar scent and turned, seeing Jacob Black emerge from the trees behind them, wearing black pants, and an untucked dress shirt, along with a loose tie. "Bella, Lyra." He greeted them.