Chapter 6

The trees were a blur of green and brown as Lyra watched them pass in wonder. It was one thing to see this when she ran at such fast speeds with her new powers but it was completely different when she was being carried.

When they suddenly stopped, she found herself nudging him, gesturing towards a nearby tree. Emmett listens to her silent command and speeds over to the tree, climbing up it quickly as Lyra clung to his back as tight as she could. He sat on the thicker edge of the branch and she was perched beside him.

"Edward mentioned something about you having powers?" Emmett asked her once they were seated

"Yeah. Um..." She agreed, pausing for a moment as she tried to figure out how she will explain these things to him, "I'm sure you noticed some by now. My knowledge on my kind is limited to a series of journals my grandmother left behind, documenting what her transition from human to banshee was like. There are some powers all banshees share such as heightened senses much like you, as well as your speed. I also have something that was referred to as 'intuition' in the journals, meaning I can kind of just feel how something is going to go. I have three more powers as well, two of which all banshees have and one is unique to myself. They are easier to show rather than explain, but I still can't quite figure out how to control two of them. The third is something you have already witnessed kind of." She held her hand out to Emmett, "Take my hand, Emmett."

He gently took her hand in his, giving her a curious glance. "I'm going to need you to squeeze my hand as hard as you can. No holding back, okay?" She told him, gaining a hesitant nod in response that she quickly returned as a way to signal him to do as she told him to. Emmett squeezed her hand as hard as he could, bracing himself for the sound of her bones being crushed. He waited and waited until he realized that nothing was happening. He felt as if he was trying to crush one of his siblings' hands.

He released her hand, confusion evident in his expression. "Banshees as a whole are very defensive creatures." She explained, "All of our powers are meant to protect us more than fight something off. So, whenever pressure is applied to our skin, it hardens to something as strong as yours."

"So, you're not scared of us hurting you?"

"Of course not. You literally can't hurt me because of my powers."

Emmett pulls her into his lap, "You really are something special, kitten."

"Well, it's better than being normal."

It was then that Lyra realized her position. How close she was to Emmett and that she was literally perched in his lap. Her now-naturally slow heart rate speeds up in her chest because she was about to follow an impulse she had been wanting to do for a while now. Emmett hears it, and looks at her curiously.

However, he seemed to have the same idea. His hand moved to cup her jaw and his thumb ran gently along her cheek bones as his eyes scanned her features. Her eyes trailed down to look at his lips for a moment as his thumb moved to trace her bottom lip. Her heart was floating in her chest, lifting with every breath she took. She could tell he knew exactly what he was doing.

He had a chance, and he took it. He closed the space between them and pressed his lips to hers. Passionate, but gentle. Lyra's arms moved to wrap around his neck as she leaned against him, tangling her fingers in his dark hair.

The taste of his lips were like sweet honey and were overlaid with the freshest mountain water. His scent filled her nose; the smell of damp forest and a sweet distinctly vampire scent hitting her all in one blast.

Lyra slowly pulls away, pressing her for head against his as she breathes his name. She leaned back in, kissing him again. His mouth opens wider for her, allowing her to deepen the kiss by running her tongue along his teeth before tangling it with his in a fight for dominance. His taste was much stronger and part of her wondered if it was because of the venom, but she wasn't complaining. It was delicious.