Chapter 53

"At least we get to go to London again." Esme told Carlisle as they finished packing, a smile on her face, "We haven't been there in a long time."

"Alright." Jacob said, swinging a bag over his shoulder as he turned to the door, "Let's get this show on the road." He stopped when he saw Sam coming out of the forest, a ripped page in hand.

"Why do I have a feeling this isn't good news?" Lyra said as the rest of the Cullen family came outside, luggage in hand, "Oh, right, because nothing could possibly go right, that would make life too easy."

Carlisle met Sam at the bottom of the stairs, the rest of the family behind him. "Alice and Jasper asked me to give you that." Sam started, handing the note to the vampire, "They crossed our lands to the ocean last night."

Carlisle read the note, and you didn't have to be an empath to sense the dread that came over him, "They left us."

Rosalie looked as if she was punched in the gut, "Why?"

"They didn't say."

"Can I see that?" Carlisle handed the note to Bella and Lyra read it over her shoulder.

Gather as many witnesses as you can before the snow sticks to the ground. That's when they'll come. -Alice

The two girls glanced at each other, not having to speak to know they were thinking the same thing. Why would she leave at the moment they needed her most? What did she know?

***

Lyra ran beside Emmett and Rosalie as they went after one of their many targets to aid in the witnessing.

"Shut up." Lyra heard a gruff voice say, followed by cloaked grunts, "I hated the first British Invasion. And, I hate the second one even more."

"Even the Beatles?" Emmett quips, arm wrapped around Lyra's shoulders tightly with Rosalie on her other side. Lyra's lips quirk into a slight smirk at the shocked look on the vampire's face as Emmett adds, "Really, Garrett?"

"Old habits die hard." Garrett replies.

"Carlisle needs you." Rosalie tells him.

Garrett drops the man to the ground, "Sounds interesting."

"Help!" The man calls.

"But first I'd better finish my meal." Garrett flashes towards the man as he screams for help and kicks him, but before Lyra can see any more, her eyes are covered by Emmett's hand. However, judging by the grunts and gurgled screams, Lyra can guess what happened. A sharp metallic scent met Lyra's nose but she did her best to ignore it. "Aww, covering your girlfriend's eyes? Who knew you were so whipped, Emmett." Garrett teased.

Lyra pulled Emmett's hand off her eyes as she smirked, "He's my bitch." She told Garrett, causing Emmett to nod proudly and the red-eyed vampire to flash over to her, looking her over.

"I like her." He tells Emmett upon seeing the way she didn't even flinch at his speed. He looked back at her with a smirk, "You got a name, doll?"

"Lyra." She responded, "And, don't call me 'doll.'" She allowed her eyes to flash red as she sent a small push into Garrett, causing him to stumble slightly.

Garrett grinned at her slightly, "See you later... doll." He told her before disappearing in a flash.

Lyra grinned and looked at Emmett, "I like that guy."

"I had a feeling you would." With that the three of them took off towards their next target.

***