Chapter 19

Lyra ran quickly through the woods behind Bella's house. To the large black wolf that lingered nearby, she looked like the red-headed vampire he had been chasing from the rez. That's why he pounced and tackled her to the ground. She yelped before looking at him and shouting, "What the fuck, Uley?! Get off of me!" The wolf's eyes widened as they met her piercing blue ones. He got off of her and moved behind a tree to transform back.

"Sorry, McNamara." He grunted at her as he emerged from behind the tree, "I didn't realize it was you."

"No shit!" She exclaimed as she pulled herself from the ground, "Now, come on, we have more important things to deal with."

"What-!" Sam cut himself off with a yelp of surprise when Lyra grabbed his arm and all but threw him on her back before taking off in a flash. It was somewhat comical that a 5"4' woman was carrying around a man that towered over her at a height of 6"6'.

Sam couldn't help but look around at his surroundings as she carried him. It was one thing when he ran on his own but it felt completely different to be carried by someone who moved as fast as those blood suckers he hated so much. He never really disliked Lyra, despite the fact that she was so close to the Cullens. Michael had told him about how she killed a vampire in order to protect that Swan girl and that level of protectiveness gained his respect. However, from speaking to her before, he knew she had a sharp tongue and was more than willing to use her words to cut him to shit if he said the wrong thing.

He was snapped out of his thoughts by his feet hitting the ground and a gasp sounding through the air. He watched as a blur of red moved before Lyra was seen kneeling by an unconscious brunette. Sam's eyes widened as he realized that it was Bella and he moved closer to her. Sam crouched slightly before lifting Bella from the ground, hooking one arm under her knees and the other around her waist. Lyra took off her jacket and laid it over her friend like a blanket.

They made their way out of the woods and towards the Swan house. Outside of the house was a bunch of people, trying to help Charlie find Bella. "Charlie!" Lyra heard Jacob call out, gaining the man's attention. Charlie turned around and when he saw them he ran towards them. "She's alright!" Sam called out.

"I got her." Charlie said as Sam handed Bella to him, "Thank you, Sam, Lyra."

Lyra nodded as Charlie carried Bella off towards his house. "Thank you, Sam." She told the wolf shifter beside her, refusing to look at him, "For helping out tonight."

"It was nothing." He replied before taking off back into the woods, the sound of a howl following not long after. Lyra couldn't help the way her lips quirked into a small smile at the sound.

Lyra made her way over and into the Swan house. When she entered, the slight smile she had fell. Bella was sitting on the couch, wrapped in blankets and wearing Lyra's jacket, the scent of the banshee's familiar perfume comforting her slightly. Lyra sat on the couch beside her and wrapped her arms around Bella tightly as the brunette whispered, "He left me."

"I know, sweetheart," Lyra told her, rubbing the girl's arms comfortingly, "I know."

***

October

Lyra ran through the woods around the reservation quickly as she followed after a familiar red-headed vampire with two wolves on either side of her, one with dark silver fur and the other with brown fur that got darker around his face. How she ended up becoming an honorary member of the pack was a wonder, but when Billy had asked her to help them out she couldn't say no. Although she and Sam still didn't get along very well, she had zero problems with neither his fiancé nor the other two wolves in the pack, Jared and Paul, however the latter did like to annoy her from time to time.