Chapter 49

Lyra pulled up to the Cullen's house an hour later and got out of her car. Lyra climbed the stairs into the house. She reached for the door handle, but before she could open it, Emmett materialized out of thin air and opened it for her. The two stared at each other for a few seconds before Emmett pulled her into a tight hug, that she quickly returned.

"How are you?" He whispered into her hair.

"I'm good. I missed you."

Emmett pulled back and brought his hands up to cup her face, rubbing his thumbs along her cheek bones before he moved his hands up to ruffle her newly cut hair, "You changed your hair."

"Yeah." Lyra said before ducking her head slightly and asking somewhat nervously, "Do you like it?"

"Yeah, it's hot." He ruffled it again before running his hand back down to her face and caressing it gently, "If you like it, then I like it."

Lyra smiled brightly, "I love it."

"I love it, too." He pressed a short kiss to her head before pulling back and added, "Bella should be around in a little while."

"You mean she's not here?"

"No," he said, shaking his head, "Edward took her away for a little while. He wanted to make sure she was safe to be around Nessie."

Lyra wrinkled her nose, "I still hate that nickname." Emmett chuckled lightly in response. "How's Jacob?" Lyra asked moments later.

Emmett rolled his eyes, "He doesn't want to leave her side. He always wants to hold the kid or is standing right behind the person who is. He really is like a guard dog for her."

"Weird, but sweet."

"Don't let him hear you calling it weird. He's defensive about it."

"I bet." Lyra nodded her head, "Seth was too at first."

Emmett looked at her for a few seconds. He had a small smile on his face and shook his head before leaning forward to kiss Lyra. This kiss was gentle and sweet. It was what Lyra had been missing for the last few days. She wanted to be alone but damn, did she miss Emmett. She wanted nothing more than to melt into his arms and just lay down in his embrace for a week. After being apart from him for so long, she was happy to be near him again. It was almost as if a piece of her very soul had been missing.

He gently pulled back from the kiss and rested his forehead on hers with his eyes closed. "I love you." He whispered.

"I love you, too." She replied.

They had reached the point where the giddiness had gone and the embarrassment at finally being together had faded. Her heart didn't thump at the sight of him but instead her very world seemed to calm and come into focus when he was around. He was her home. He was her world.

Lyra pulled back enough to look at Emmett and she grabbed his hand. "Come on," she said, "I haven't seen Renesmee in a few days. I want to see her again." They walked into the living room to see the rest of the Cullen family standing around a small fireplace. The first thing Lyra had noticed was Jacob's protective stance behind Rosalie's shoulder, who sat in a chair closest to the fire.

When she entered the room, they all looked at her with smiles on their faces. Jacob even moved away from the chair to greet Lyra. Without saying anything, Jake grabbed Lyra into a big hug. "You here to see her?" He asked the girl excitedly.

Lyra let out a small laugh, "Lemme see the kiddo."

Rosalie stood up from the chair and turned around with Renesmee in her arms. Lyra gasped and stumbled a few steps back and would've fallen over her own two feet if Emmett hadn't stepped behind her and steadied her with his chest.