Chapter 3

Lyra sat on her couch, one of her dad's books resting in her lap, and with Emmett Cullen sitting beside her, using her laptop to set up an outline. The silence was deafening to Lyra. She had always hated silence.

"Lyra?" She looked up at Emmett with a small hum of acknowledgment, "Are you okay? You've been staring at the same paragraph for the past ten minutes."

"Oh, sorry." Lyra apologized, shaking her head slightly as she turned back to the book, "I'm just struggling to focus."

"It's fine."

Lyra bit her lip in thought for a moment before looking at Emmett again, "Do you mind if I play some music or a TV show or something?"

Emmett grinned at her, "Not at all."

Lyra smiled at Emmett before picking up the remote and turning the TV on. She quickly flipped through the streaming services available and selected Hulu. She froze for a moment as she tried to decide what to watch before she smirked slightly and clicked on My Hero Academia, choosing the dubbed episode since she couldn't read subtitles and read from a book at the same time.

Lyra grinned as she saw Emmett's attention turn to the TV, his head tilting to the side like a confused puppy. He seemed almost mesmerized by what was on the TV and it made her giggle slightly under her breath as she turned her gaze back to the book in her lap.

***

"You go, Bakugo! Kick Deku's ass!"

Lyra laughed at Emmett's exclamation before asking, "You do realize that Deku is the protagonist, right?"

Emmett turned to look at her with a grin, "Yeah, but Bakugo is so much cooler."

Lyra nodded, "That's fair, I guess."

They had long since finished working on the project for the time being, having come up with a thesis statement as well as evidence for their first paragraph, but Emmett had still yet to go home. He was too caught up in watching the anime that Lyra had introduced him to.

Lyra stood up from the couch, gathering her laptop and the books she had taken from her dad's office. "Hey, move. You're blocking the TV." Emmett commanded jokingly as she walked past him. She rolled her eyes and immediately backtracked so she was standing right in front of him again.

Emmett leaned to the side to try and see around her only for her to shift slightly so she was blocking his view again. This repeated a few times, Emmett growing more frustrated as Lyra grew more amused. A giggle fell from her lips, ringing sweetly in Emmett's ears. Finally, Emmett said, "Stop it." He grabbed her hips, causing her laughter to cease as his grip kept her from moving again, before leaning around her to see the TV.

Lyra blushed slightly before clearing her throat to help her regain her head. Emmett looked up at her, their eyes meeting. "You can let me go now. I'll stop." Lyra told him softly. Emmett's hands slowly fell from her hips, his eyes never leaving hers until she shuffled away from him and up the stairs to her room quickly, her face burning a bright red as she ignored the cool feeling that remained where Emmett's hands had been.

Emmett sighed, leaning his head against the back of the couch and closing his eyes. He couldn't believe the effect this human- no, this girl was having on him. They had only properly met that day, but he already felt a connection to her. Alice had mentioned that he would be meeting his mate soon, but he didn't realize that it was so soon.

Emmett had been so lost in his thoughts that he hadn't registered that Lyra had come back downstairs until he felt her warm hand touching the side of his face, her thumb brushing across his cheekbone. His eyes snapped open, startling the girl and causing her to pull her hand back to her chest as if she had been burned. "Sorry." She apologized, "I don't know why I did that."