Chapter 21

"It's freezing! How the fuck do you guys do this?" Lyra exclaims as she removes her shirt and jeans, revealing a rarely used dark blue two piece bathing suit, "Look, I may be practically invincible but I'm not invincible to the cold."

"You don't have to jump, you know." Paul told her, walking up behind her and wrapping his arms around her waist to keep her warm.

"I know but I want to." She said looking over the edge of the cliff, seeing the long fall until the water.

Sam gave Jared a nod and he chuckled to himself before lifting Embry and tossing him over the edge of the cliff. Sam soon followed after him, wanting to be in the water for when Lyra jumped.

"If my pups can do it, I can do it." Lyra muttered to herself as she took in the drop. Heights had never been her favorite, and this distance between her and the water caused her stomach to churn.

"That doesn't mean-" Jared began to say before he was cut off by Lyra.

"If you can jump off a cliff, then you can finally ask Kim to be your girlfriend." She told him and he slouched, "Now go, take the leap!" She cheered, causing him to smile.

"Let's go!" Jared whooped in excitement as he jumped from the cliff.

"Do you wanna at least go lower?" Paul asked her, voice full of concern. He knew Lyra wasn't afraid of doing reckless things, hell she dated a vampire twice her size and ran with wolves in addition to her practically being invincible, but he still worried about her.

She smirked, "And let Embry's first impression of my supernatural form be that I'm a little bitch? No way." Without a second thought or word, she leapt from the edge of the cliff, diving down towards the water with a scream.

***

"I'll kill Tyler if he gave me his flu." Jessica complained as Lyra slid into her seat at the table. Lyra normally sits with Bella as she worried about the brunette, but Bella mentioned earlier that she was planning on sitting with their friends.

"It's going around." Lyra told Jessica as she unscrewed the cap of her water bottle, "I wasn't allowed near my dad while he was sick because I might have gotten it. He said he felt like shit the entire time." Most of what she said was true. Jeremy really was sick two weeks prior, Lyra was allowed near him since her demon genes prevented her from getting human illness, but Lyra stayed home all of the previous week to help Michael take care of her dad.

"Yeah, my sister was so sick she couldn't come on our hike last weekend." Angela agreed, and then her eyes went wide, "Oh my God! I've been meaning to tell you guys. When I was in the woods, I saw this huge-"

"Bush?" Mike guessed out of boredom as he poked around the mystery meat on his lunch tray, "Mud puddle? Tree?"

Lyra rolled her eyes and tossed a grape at his forehead to get him to be quiet so Angela could continue. Mike stuck his tongue out childishly, but laughed and picked up the grape off the table before eating it. "I'm not joking." Angela dropped her fork into her tray, a little annoyed that Mike and Jessica were downplaying this, "Why doesn't anyone believe me?

"I believe you." Eric said quickly, reaching over and grasping her hand, "Totally, baby. I believe you."

Jessica snorted, "No, he doesn't. He's just trying to get lucky."

Lyra smirked, "I don't think it's working."

"I'm serious." Angela insisted, "It was jet black and huge. On all fours it was still taller than a person... A bear, maybe?" Lyra's smirk dropped and she tensed slightly. She was going to have to tell Sam to be more careful.