Chapter 7

True to his word, Emmett picked Lyra up in the morning. The ride to school was in a comfortable silence, both reminiscing about the events of that morning.

Lyra's eyes fluttered open as Emmett gently nudged her to wakefulness. "Morning, kitten." He told her, his voice quiet.

"Good morning." She murmured, pressing a small kiss to the crook of his neck. She nuzzled her head there before she was hit by a sudden thought, causing her to look up at Emmett and ask, "What did you do all night while I was sleeping?" She narrowed her eyes at him, "Did you watch me sleep all night?"

Emmett quickly shook his head. "No." He said a little too loudly before lowering his voice again, "No, I'm not creepy like Edward." Lyra snorts at the insult before Emmett continues, "I laid here for about an hour before going home, changing, and driving my Jeep back over here, parking it down the street. Then I sat in that chair over there-" He gestures to the corner of the room, "-and read one of your books and started the next." Lyra sits up enough to look over at the chair where the second volume of Fruits Basket sat with a bookmark in it. "As it got close to when you were going to wake up, I laid back down beside you and you immediately rolled over on top of me." Lyra blushed slightly before her attention was taken by a small meow rang through the room as her cat jumped up on the bed, "Oh, and he was yelling outside your door so I let him in."

Lyra smiled as Obi nuzzled his head into Emmett's outstretched palm, "He likes you."

"Which is weird," Emmett begins, watching as his girlfriend rolled off of him so she was closer to her cat, who began purring as soon as her fingers met his fur, "Animals tend to not like us very much. Survival instincts tell them that we are predators and that they should fear us."

"He's a cat, Emmett, he doesn't seem to have any survival instincts." Lyra drawled, giving her boyfriend a look before continuing as she turns her attention back to her cat, "And, the only person that Obi doesn't seem to like is Papa and that's probably because he turns into a giant dog."

Emmett watched her for a moment as she pet her cat. She looked adorable with her copper hair resting in a tangled mess over her shoulder and her sapphire eyes shining with happiness. She smiles brightly as Obi rolls over onto his back cutely. Emmett lets out a deep breath before standing up and saying, "I should probably go so you can get dressed and stuff."

He moved towards her window before freezing when he heard her say, "Wait." He turns to look at her, "Emmett, I..."

It was clear to him that she couldn't find the words to describe what she wanted to say. Instead she stood up from the bed and moved to stand in front of him. Her hands grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled him down so her lips met his. Despite the rough start, this kiss was gentle, far different from any kiss that they had shared the night previous. This change told Emmett what Lyra was trying to say. She was telling him how she felt, that her feelings for him were stronger than lust but that it was too soon to be love.

Once they pulled away from each other, Emmett took her hands from his shirt and pressed a soft kiss to each of her palms before opening and jumping out her window, flashing away into the woods.

A goofy grin was painted across her face for the rest of the morning, causing her dads to share knowing looks when they saw it.

Lyra was broken out of her thoughts as Emmett parked his Jeep in the usual spot. She looked at Emmett, saying, "I can see two options. A, we keep our relationship secret and pretend like we're just friends, or B, we dramatically strut across the parking lot, flaunting our relationship for all to see."

Emmett looked at Lyra, feigning a serious expression, "We should probably keep our relationship a secret. We wouldn't want to draw too much attention."