Chapter 3

(Thranduil)

The sleep I managed to get will have to suffice. I toss the sweat soaked throws from my legs and swing them to the floor. I splash some water onto my face in the washroom and start donning the travel wear laid out. Every so often, a lick of searing pain rips through me, a side effect of the medicine Tarawen gave me. It passes after a moment, so I continue into the light shirt and heavy padding I'll need to wear under my chest plate. My boots are supple brown leather with embroidered leaves around the heel, perfect for riding and for displaying status. Everything is a show with the Dwarves.

I finish readying myself and four of my most diplomatic warriors for a ride to Erebor, the Dwarven stronghold. We are to discuss trade arrangements as well as alliances. The only thing I really expect to accomplish is renewing our wine contracts. Most other imports my kingdom needs come from Rivendell or Lothlorien. I have managed to rebuild the relationships my father squandered with Galadriel and Elrond.

Dwarves are the least agreeable of creatures, after orcs. They are compulsively stubborn and greedy. When they first came to the Lonely Mountain, they were generous kings and the city of Dale flourished in the shadow of the mountain. But as their wealth grew, their supply of good will ran short. The leaders of men change so often I hardly pay attention anymore. So long as they are stately, I can negotiate.

With the continued orc attacks, I did not want to risk traveling without armor. I had my forest chest plate on under a green cloak. My company was dressed similarly. We packed food for our short journey in saddle bags as well as throwing daggers and extra arrows. The forest is a dangerous place to all, but less so to those who know it's secrets, as my people have learned.

As I was setting my mount with saddle bags, I heard the scuffs of little feet. I turn to see Legolas running toward me. He reaches my feet, then grips my hand and scurries up my side like a black squirrel.

"Ada, can I come with you?" he pleads, finally landing in my waiting arms.

"I am afraid not, my little leaf. But I will be home before you go to bed, and we can do whatever you desire then, alright?" It is always hard to say no to Legolas, but I can not take him to Erebor, travel while he is so young is too risky. That is also the reason I cannot take Annoneth on this journey. She needs to be here, protecting Greenwood and my son.

"Yes, ada," he said, hugging me tightly. As I lean down for him to climb off, he lands a small kiss on my check. "I love you, ada."

"I love you too, Legolas." I whisper in his ear. I set him down and he scampered away, probably to his room. I watched him until Annoneth came up behind me.

"Are you sure you do not want my company, King Thranduil?" She asked, bowing her head.

"Yes, I need you here to protect the kingdom and my son. You know that." I was terse with her. We had been over this subject many times since I told her I was going to Erebor.

My company was already mounted and prepared to leave. So I gave Annoneth her leave and swung myself upon Aras, my elk mount, and led the company out the gates, which closed quickly behind us.