Chapter 24

(Thranduil)

When we arrive at Rhovanel's door, she turns abruptly to face me.

"How do think you will keep me out of a cell?" she muses, caressing the back of my bare arms.

"Well, I have already warned the captain away from you. She is the only other elf with the keys to the cells. Several servants have seen you and I together, they will spread the word that you are not a threat," I find myself gazing down at her. Her head comes up to my chin, but she has raised her chin so it juts out defiantly.

"Are you sure I'm not a threat? I could have killed you the night you had that nightmare," she snorts playfully. Her right eyebrow raised above the left, an inquiring glare.

"I don't know, you were neutralized rather quickly," I whisper, leaning down to be even with her.

"I am capable of a great deal more than you realize, my lord," she wraps her arms around my neck, and I rest my chin on the top of her head.

"I know you are, you are the most talented elf I have ever met," I whisper into her hair. I kiss her head gently before she opens the door and slips inside, blushing. I stand there, silently, for a while before continuing on to my own chambers.

I find myself more awake than I have been since Legolas was an infant in his mother's arms. Annoneth is waiting outside the door. When she hears me approach, she straightens up and puts her hand over her chest in salute. I do the same. Annoneth stares at her feet for a long time after that.

"Did you have something to tell me?" I ask calmly. I will handle this with the dignity of a king.

"Sir, permission to speak freely?"

"Annoneth, please, you are my closest friend and advisor. You are free to speak as you please, so long as you do not threaten myself or my family."

"Thranduil, you know Rhovanel is still wanted in Lothlórien for her crimes, right?"

"I am very much aware of Rhovanel's story and status. I have already passed judgement, and I find that she is innocent."

"Based purely on her word?"

"Yes, is that a problem?" I say. Annoneth opens her mouth to say more, but quickly closes it.

"By the way, Rhovanel is taking over Legolas's knife lessons."

"What? But he has improved greatly in the past moon!" she cries.

"He has skipped several lessons and finds no enjoyment in your teaching. He loves archery and your other lessons, but your blade work is at the master's level, and Legolas is not there yet. Rhovanel is willing to try her hand in my son's education. You are dismissed," I say, waving her off. I can tell she is upset, but she is professional, she can handle it.

I swing the doors open and am about to collapse on my bed when I hear a small voice.

"Ada?" Legolas squeaks. My eyes water as I pick my drowsy son up.

"Yes, Legolas, I am home. I missed you so much," I whisper. He hugs my neck and wraps his fingers in my hair. I just stand there, rocking and holding him until he falls asleep again. Then I set him gently on the bed and crawl in next to him. He looks so peaceful; I wish I did not have to tell him that I was leaving again.