Chapter 62

(Rhovanel)

Two weeks later:
I left the dining room and headed to the metal smith's forge. Thranduil typically spends this time alone in the throne room, so I don't have to worry about meeting him on the path.

The metal smith is hammering away at an axe when I arrive. He sees me right away, so I don't need to ring the bell.

"My lady, welcome. I assume you are here for the ring you ordered?" he greets, bowing.

"Yes, sir. I have finally found the time to pick up this ring. It is done, yes?"

"Oh, of course my lady, I finished weaving the gold bands yesterday. The runes along the interior are completed as well," the smith says, handing me the engagement ring. It is even more amazing than I could have imagined. I wouldn't have done it any other way.

"Thank you, what would you desire as payment? Gold, favors, anything. It shall be yours."

"I have enough gold to last a hundred years, my lady. Perhaps you could just tell everyone who asks that I made it?"

"Sir, that is insubstantial in comparison to your art, surely there is more-"

"Really, my lady, just spread my name and my work," he smiles.

"You are amazing. Thank you, and I have a feeling we shall meet again."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I meet Thranduil in the garden. There is snow everywhere, and a small fire burns in the center fountain. Thranduil is waiting by it, warming his hands. I walk up to him and blow on his ear.

"Gah! What was that for?!" he laughs.

"That was your first present of the night. I have at least one more for you," I giggle. He wraps his arms around my back and kisses me.

"I have something for you as well." He pulls a small box from his robe. "I had this made for you. I had the metal smith inscribe my promise along the interior, so you will always hold me to my word." The ring is beautiful with its silver base and starlight gems. I pull out the ring I had made for him.

"I had the metal smith write the reasons I love you, so that you will never forget yourself, no matter the difficulties."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, a letter arrived from Rivendell. Thranduil gave me permission to invite political allies, and Elrond was the first person I wrote to. He invited us to Rivendell to celebrate our engagement and to examine my abdomen. Thranduil agreed and invited Annoneth and her family to join us. Fornor would be in command here for the time we were away.

We took our time to arrive, almost three days on the road. I could not believe that Fornor once made this journey and back in one day.

"Thranduil, what made you decide to have a political wedding?" I ask.

"I decided it would be rude to have a wedding and not include the other races, even if this isn't a political match," he smiles. Dusk whinnies upon our arrival at the main bridge of Rivendell. Elrond is waiting at the gates with his small sons running around his legs.

"Le aodollen (you're late) , Thranduil," Elrond grins.

"Mae go govannen (well met), Elrond."

I slip off Dusk's back and hug Elrond. He hugs back and then shakes hands with Thranduil.

"You have been traveling far too long. Please, follow me to your rooms, then we can commence to the celebration," Elrond says, walking off toward the buildings in the distance. Legolas runs ahead with Elrond's twins, and Thranduil chases after them to make sure they do not get into trouble.

"Meet me in the library later, and we can discuss your injuries," he whispers while Thranduil is chasing the boys.

"Thank you, Elrond. You are the best," I answer. We walk atop the thin layer of snow and into a large dome-roofed building.

"If you and Thranduil follow me, I will take you to your room. Legolas can continue playing with Elladan and Elrohir until they can no longer stand. But I think he would miss the food and the fun," he adds when Legolas runs between my legs.

"I will not miss anything! We will be back before you even start eating," Legolas shouts. Thranduil has just come up behind him and is panting like a horse. "I think ada is done playing for a while. You should make sure he has the energy to stand," Legolas giggles. Elrohir pulls at his hair playfully and the trio takes off into the snow.

Thranduil takes a moment to catch his breath, then we head to our room.

"I think you will be quite comfortable in here. The party shall begin in two hours. Please feel free to roam around; I apologize for not staying, but I have several matters to attend to before the feast," Elrond admits, exiting the room and winking at me. Thranduil does not notice and falls into the bed.

"Tired? That didn't seem like a hard run," I laugh. Thranduil groans.

"Three days of riding left my legs dead. Running on dead legs is by far more exhausting than any other activity. Especially when the body is low on rest and food."

"I think you should sleep before the party. I need to stretch my legs. I'll see you there?"

"Of course, melamin," Thranduil says, pulling me onto the bed for a quick kiss.

"Go to sleep! I'll tell a maid to wake you just before the party." Thranduil smiles and lies his head on the silk pillow.