Chapter 55

(Rhovanel)

I am dumped in a room with three blank-faced maids. They start stripping me of my tunic despite my protests and pleas for help. I choose not to struggle against them, but I also do not make it any easier for them to dress me. I take my sweet time slipping into the undergarments and mess up my hair every time they do it.

As soon as I am dressed, Rivornor walks in. "How is the princess today?" he coos. I feel the corners of my mouth turn down in disgust.

"If you're referring to me, I would say that I am ready to kill-"

"As I would expect! I mean look at your hair! Leave this place, peasants, send in someone who knows how to properly braid hair," he yells. As soon as the maids leave, Rivornor pushes me up against the wall with his stumpy arm against my hips and his hand on my throat. "Listen here you xhan, if you dare toy with this ceremony, I will make the rest of your short life worse than death. I will cut your hand off an then I will-"

"Save your threats for someone who cares, Rivornor. I no longer fear death, nor do I fear the pain that comes before. When Thranduil comes, and he will come, you and your master will be within my jurisdiction, and I can promise you that there are worse things than losing a hand, things that my creative mind will love exploring." His face turns bright red. "Now, back away and leave before I do something you will not like," I growl. Rivornor backs away hastily, and trips over the box that once held my dress.

I grin as he stumbles from the room. Then I move over to the mirror where a necklace and bracelet are laid out. They are made from white gems of starlight, and they shine more brilliantly in the darkness than in candlelight. Something so beautiful and pure should not be connected to something so atrocious and false. I put the necklace back down on the dresser.

"Those would be perfect," whispers that suave voice I love more than anything. Thranduil wraps his arms around me and picks up the necklace. He then fastens it around the nape of my neck.

"You found the blades I see," I whisper as I hold his hand around me.

"Yes, brilliant plan by the way, melamin," he breathes, kissing my freshly scrubbed neck.

"How did you get in here? I can practically hear the guards breathing outside, there are so many of them."

"I did not come in through the door where the guards would see me. There is a secret tunnel that leads from your room to mine. It has not been used since Uiril stayed in this room. I am very thankful I didn't have it filled in."

I grin at him through the mirror. He is hiding half of his face behind mine, so I step out of the mirror and look at Thranduil in it. My hand flies to my mouth as I gasp at the scar before my eyes. I have never seen a more devastating injury in all my life, and Thranduil seems completely unaffected by it.

"I suppose I could not hide it forever," he sighs, throwing a sheet over the mirror. I look at him closer and I can see the faint glimmer of magic on his face.

"Show me," I beg. Thranduil gasps as a massive scar starts to appear on his face. In a matter of moments, the pink-pale skin is gone from all of the left side of his face, revealing the tissues beneath. One eye is colorless, void of any animation or emotion. I can just barely see the shape of his teeth through what would be his cheek.

"Thranduil," I gasp.

"It is but an old battle wound. There is no cure for dragon fire." Thranduil hangs his head as if in shame. I step back in front of the mirror as the scar fills back in to the face I knew. I put his arms around my hips and kiss his cheek.

"Scars are reminders of battles past, and your shows more bravery and heart than any I bear or any I have ever seen. Do not be ashamed of what you look like because you are perfect in every way. Now, you must go, before new maids come in," I say, pushing him back and effectively ruining the moment he thought we were having.

He lightens up right away though. "Let them come in. I have a feeling they will be glad to see me," he laughs. I punch his shoulder.

"Go now!" I whisper harshly at him. He grips my wrist and turns my shoulders so I am facing the door. Annoneth and Tarawen step through the door with brushes and hair pins.

"My lady, we are here to help you get ready for the best day of your life," they drone. Then they smile as the door closes behind them. They drop the hair equipment and raise their skirts to reveal my blades as well as their own.

"These are the finest blades I have ever wielded, Rhovanel. How did you create these masterpieces in a matter of weeks?"

"They are not quite finished, I have not enchanted them yet-"

"Enchantments are not necessary for such art. But we are off topic; anyone have a plan?" Thranduil asks confusedly. Not the strategist I suppose.

"Tarawen, start working on my hair, Thranduil and Annoneth, go back to your cells and make sure Haldir is aware of what is happening too. Keep Legolas where he is, it will be safer in the dungeons. Annoneth should wait with him. I have a feeling that will be the first place guards flood to when the fighting starts."

They all nod and set about their tasks. Annoneth has not opened her wounds as far as I know, which is good. Keeping her downstairs will be better for her own safety as well as Legolas's.

Tarawen starts weaving my hair into thin braids and then one larger braid. She throws a few flowers and hair clips in for good measure. The hair clips are bejeweled with diamonds that are sharp enough to tear skin like paper.

This will certainly be the best day of my life. Mainly because it will be the last for two traitorous wretches.