Chapter 23

(Thranduil)

Rogan will pay for hurting Rhovanel. I charge forward, just ahead of her. I leap into the air as Rogan stumbles back, and as my feet connect with his chest, Rhovanel drives her blade into his surprised face. Rogan and I crash into the tree Rhovanel had been tied to, and the blade goes through his head.

I disentangle myself from the body and dislodge the glowing blade. It burns my hand.

"Agh!" I cry, grabbing my burned hand. I was more surprised than injured, but Rhovanel cradled my blistered hand in hers.

"I should have told you not to touch it," she mutters.

"What are you talking about?"

"The blades, they have an enchantment that gives them tremendous power. They harness the anger and hatred of the bearer, and turn it into searing heat. It is a spell my mother taught me, before she died." I can hear the longing in her voice. My mother died when I was very young, I had not known her except through the rare stories my father would tell me.

"So it does not burn the bearer because it is the bearer's hatred? That is a complex enchantment. Your mother must have been proud." Her eyes tear up, but she smiles at me.

"We must move, the entirety of the Orc invasion force has moved to this camp, and if we are to stop them, we must meet them in battle now. You must lead your army against them yourself. We should go around the camp to the east, that way looks to be the shortest," Rhovanel says, pulling me along by the elbow.

The pain in my hand is not so great any longer, mostly because I have other things filling my mind. Rhovanel leads me through the trees; we are not stopped once. Not by orc scouts or hungry spiders. The journey is quiet and quick. The gates are visible by high moon.

When we reach the gates, I hear the guards calling for a healer. I look at Rhovanel; her tunic is soaked with blood.

"Why did you not say anything?!" I scream at her. She just smiles weakly.

"It is nothing Thranduil."

Tarawen sprints from behind the doors carrying a small bag of supplies. She reaches for my head first, but I shoo her away.

"Take care of her first! I am going to find Legolas, he needs to know that we are fine," I say, charging toward the gates.

"My lord! Legolas is asleep and you are bleeding. Please, go to the healer's chambers and wait there," Annoneth says, blocking the doors. I glare at her, but I know that she is right.

"Fine, but I shall wait with Rhovanel," I say without thinking.

"Rhovanel? I thought her name was Miniel," Annoneth says. It takes a moment, but I see the recognition of the name dawn on her face. "Seize her!" She commands. The guards leap down and take Rhovanel by the shoulders.

"Unhand her this instant!" I command the guards. They seem very confused, by leave Rhovanel in Tarawen's capable hands. "The only reason I am still alive is Rhovanel. If you dare try to seize her again, you will find yourself in a cell," I growl.

Annoneth gapes at me, but decides it wiser to not argue. I walk back to where Tarawen is trying to keep Rhovanel still.

"I am going to be fine, please stop fussing over me!" she says. I simply bend down and pick her up, not minding the pain radiating from my shoulder. She tries to kick away, but I press her to my chest.

"Please, let me help you," I whisper. She calms down and relaxes. I carry her to Tarawen's chamber and lie her on the bed. I climb on next to her and reach for her hand. After a moment's hesitation, she takes it and smiles at the ceiling. I smile too, but my gaze is fixed on her. Tarawen comes in shortly after us; she had to pack her bag outside before following us in. Annoneth sulks into the room too, and leans against the wall.

"What kind of monster uses a weapon that inflicts these kinds of injuries?" Tarawen says.

"The worst kind," I answer, grazing my thumb along the back of Rhovanel's hand. Tarawen applies a coat of some waxy paste to Rhovanel's mace injuries and to my head and shoulder. She them binds them in gauze and declares that bed rest will cure the rest in a day. Rhovanel crawls off the bed before I can pick her up again.

"I shall walk on my own this time, if you do not mind, my lord," she says. I feel like the wall has been built between us again.

"If it is not a bother, I would like to walk with you to your room," I reply. Rhovanel thinks for a moment before nodding. I rush after her, not caring about the concerned looks I get from Annoneth and Tarawen.

We have just rounded a corner when I pull her aside. "Please, do not shut me out again. No harm will come to you here, nor will I allow rumors to spread about your identity-"

"You cannot protect me from rumors! I can never claim my name and be free of its accusations! I will not shut you out, but I can not be around you as much as I want without hurting your reputation," she cried, tears leaking from her eyes. I brush them away with my thumb.

"Rhovanel, I do not care about my reputation, I do not answer to anyone but myself. And I will protect you." She looks me hard in the eye, as if searching for a crack that is not there.

"I need you," I whisper. "Please, please say you will stay as yourself."

"Well, I can't stay as Miniel anymore," she laughs. It is the best sound I have heard all day. I laugh with her as we start walking to her chamber again.

I gently brush my hand against hers, then I lock my fingers with hers. She does not pull away, and I am the happiest I have been in a long time.