Chapter 39

(Rhovanel)

I was allowed to stay in the sun for exactly ten more seconds. Then I was dragged back into the house/boat by my hair. They tie me up and I don't see them again for hours.

I start hearing owls and crickets chirping and deduce that the sun has gone down. I am starting to believe that they left me here to die when the door opens and Rhynnyn stumbles in. I can smell the alcohol on his breath as soon as he speaks.

"You stupid elf," he slurs. "You cost me a lot of money today, and I intend to make you pay for it." Because they neglected to put the fish bag over my head when I was tied up the second time, I can see the whip and bottle in his hand and the dagger strapped to his belt. The house/boat suddenly tilts to the left, making Rhynnyn stumble head first into the wall. I stifle a laugh.

When Rhynnyn regains his footing, he struts over to me, chest out, whip dragging behind him. His first crack misses me by a meter. I yelp in pain to add to his confusion. His face contorts in agony. I think he is already starting his hangover. He swings again and manages to rip a hole in my leg. I bite my lip to stay silent. It hurts, but it is not so much that I even bother to feel angry.

This hit and miss affair lasts an hour, and I am left with five cuts along my legs, six on my arms, two across my chest, and one along my cheek. Rhynnyn has been laughing for most of the time, when he was not gasping for air or hiccuping from all the alcohol.

I have had enough torture for today. When he stumbles toward me again, closer than he has before, I kick him with all the strength I can achieve tied to a beam. Rhynnyn flys into the wall and crashes through it and into the water.

I grab the dagger he dropped with my foot. After dropping it several times, I manage to get it into my hands behind my back. Rhynnyn is dragging himself back up to the hole in the house/boat. Finally, the rope snaps, and I am free. I lunge at Rhynnyn and shove the dagger up to his throat, but stop pressing after I see a single drop of blood. I pity this drunken fool. I do not want to kill him out of vengeance.

Then he takes my hesitation as weakness and tries to lunge at me. The fool pushed is throat right into the blade. As he choked on his life, I sighed and twisted the knife up, ending his agony. I then place his body on a large wooden plank, find and light a candle, and set him adrift.

The moon is full tonight, and the trees are green and lush. It is different here., calm and clean, seemingly free of foul things. I walk to the tree line, searching for a path that could lead me back to Greenwood, but there is no path. I heave a loud sigh and sit on the bank.

After sitting for a long time, I step out of my shredded clothes and into the river. I scrub the fish smell out of my hair and clean my various cuts. The cold water keeps me alert to every sound, but it is as comfortable as a warm bath. I can see my feet on the stones despite the darkness of night.

Just as I am about to step out and redress, I hear thes snorting of horses. I sink back into the water and watch for who approaches.

"I am sure that they are gone, Fornor. There are no lights and the house looks abandoned. Look at that hole!" a familiar scolds. I let me head stay above the river and call out to them.

"Rhovanel! I am so glad you are alive!" Annoneth squeals as she runs toward the river. She steps on my clothes and then stares at me. "Oh, I see. Fornor, go back into the woods and find some firewood!" she calls to her companion, who was about to dismount. He grumbles something about elleths and giving orders, but does as asked and goes into the woods.

Annoneth whistles to her mount and then grabs clothes from her saddle bag. She hold them out to me and closes her eyes.

"Thank you," I say, quietly slipping out of the water and taking the clothes.

"You are welcome, but I would hurry. Fornor will not take long to retrieve fire wood." I feel my cheeks flush, and hurriedly throw the clothes on. Fornor returns moments after I finish with a stack of wood.

"We do not have time to light a fire, we must get to Greenwood, Thranduil will be waiting," Annoneth says, pulling herself up into her horse.

"You did not happen to bring a horse for me, did you?" I ask. I can see no horse, so I already know the answer.

"No, but you can ride with me," Annoneth offers. I sigh and climb up. I wish I could ride Dusk less than a minute into the ride. I look back to the small house on the river, and I see the tiniest speck of light on the river.