Chapter 48

(Rhovanel)

"There is no way to change your mind about leaving, is there?" Thranduil says, sitting on the bed.

"I think it is best for everyone if I leave for a while," I return, refusing to face him. I know that if I look into his pale blue eyes, I will never leave. I start to walk out the door when I feel his hand on my shoulder.

"Please, wait," he whispers. "I cannot let you leave without a proper goodbye." Then he turns me to face him and kisses me. The pressure is beyond welcome as I lean back against the wall. Thranduil pushes back as well, pinning me. So much for leaving quickly.

I feel my lips part slightly, and Thranduil takes full advantage. I breathe him in: cedar and apple. Thranduil presses harder, and I feel his hands on my back. I wrap my own arms around his neck and pull him down. He pulls back, breathing hard. Then he leans back in and kisses my neck. I run my hands down his chest, then over his sides. Thankfully, he hasn't started bleeding again.

He loops his hands under my thighs and pushes me up the wall so that I am a head above him. I smile against his temple and run my hands through his hair. Then he unties the knot of my cloak and drops it to the floor. He starts pushing at my skirt, but I grab his hand and push it back down.

"Thranduil, put me down." He looks at me like I'm joking, but I frown and he eases me back onto my feet.

"Why can't you stay?" he cries softly.

"This is exactly why I can't stay. I can't control myself and neither can you. You and I need to stop acting as like children," I say, every word stinging. Thranduil's eyes are the same color as a cloud-filled sky before a storm. "You can visit-"

"I don't want to visit, I want you to stay like you promised you would!"

I do not have any sufficient argument for breaking my promise.

"What if I give you a specific timeframe? I will be gone for no more than two years, alright?"

"So much can happen in two years..."

"I can assure you that my feelings will not change, I will only develop an ability to control them. Can you promise the same?"

"I can promise to love you, always. I shall not make any promise concerning how I express my love," he whispers while brushing his hand along my spine.

"Please visit, I would love to see you and Legolas and Annoneth and Tauriel often."

"Of course, melamin," he nods, kissing my forehead, then stepping out of the room.

I slump against the door after he leaves. It is going to be hard to leave this place for two years, but it has to happen. Perhaps Gandalf is in the area, and available for tea soon. Other than that possibility, my future looks to be consumed with the forge and the mountain.

I slip my cloak back on and pick up my sketches, then head for the stables.

Dusk is nibbling some oats when I open the gate to his pen. I grab the saddle that rests on the wall and prepare him for the long ride through the forest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I ride through the forest until the break of dawn. The light snow makes travel more difficult for Dusk, so I walk him up the mountain. There are footsteps that lead into my cave, so I draw my blades and prepare for an attack.

I throw the door open to a smiling old wizard. He is sitting on a chair, smoking his pipe.

"Gandalf, how did you get in here?"

"You have let me in before, Rho. How was the orc hunting?"

"It went slightly different than planned," I admit draping my cloak across the chair opposite Gandalf.

"Do tell," he says, blowing a smoke ring at me. I wave it away and sit down.

"The Elven King joined me," I begin. Gandalf laughs and leans back, knowing I have much to tell.