Chapter 6

(Miniel)

I cracked open my eyes to voices.

"How is she?" a voice smoother than silk asked.

"She'll be fine. It was a hard blow, but nothing more," said a voice softer than a baby's hair. "Why are you so caught up with this stranger?" the girl's voice mocked.

"She is interesting. I have never had a maiden run from me like that. Nor have I seen one so bold as to face thirty orcs alone." That voice sent shivers down my spine. It was a baritone voice, clear as day, deep as the sea. I could listen to that voice for hours, then I opened my eyes a bit wider and realized my foolishness.

I was staring at the silver blond hair of King Thranduil. The tips of his ears just barely protruding from underneath his crown. I released a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding. The king nearly jumped off the bed. He'd been sitting at my feet, facing a woman I had heard in a dream.

I started to get up, but I was overcome with nausea and slumped back onto soft pillows. My hand flew to my face and felt the swollen lump above my right eye. I groaned. It hadn't been a dream.

"Don't try to get up," the woman said. She must have been the healer. I swept my eyes around the room, taking in my surroundings. The room was bare, a desk in the far corner, a small table and two chairs, two doors, one beside the desk, the other by the table. The desk held a stack of paper as well as a quill and ink jar. There was light above my head, so I assumed there was a window there, although I had no idea if it was early or late.

"You're safe now," the king said. He was staring at me, a concerned look on his face. If only he knew how I was not safe, how no one here was safe.

"When can I leave?" I asked, wasting no time. I had to get back to the border of the forest, there were more orc camps that needed my attention.

The king seemed taken aback by my bluntness. "As soon as you can move without feeling nauseous." His gentle tone from earlier was gone, replaced with ice water. He stood strait up and left without another word.

The healer stared at me, surprise evident in her face. "I cannot believe you said that." Clearly, I could barely believe it myself. I assume after months without talking to others, I lost my sociable attitude.

After a few moments of awkward silence, the healer said, "I am Tarawen, what is your name?" It was an innocent enough question.

"Miniel, orc hunter." I had been chasing the devils out of the forest for months, keeping them at bay per request of Gandalf the Grey. He has told me of darkness brewing and I went where he told me. But no one here needed to know that. They suffered fewer attacks because of my night raids.

Tarawen stared at me like I'd just grown a third eye. I guess it was the title I have myself. I stared right back. I can play this game as long as she can.

Finally, she just sighed and looked at the floor. "Why did you snap at him like that?" she finally asked.

"I did not intend to sound rude, or ungrateful, it is only that I have important business to return to. The sooner the better."

"Well, you'll be feeling that," gesturing to my head, "for at least three weeks. And even then, I do not believe you will be back at full strength." she rose from her chair. "King Thranduil has posted a guard outside your door, in case you try to leave before you're healed." Her dark hair fell into her face while she collected jars of herbs. "If you feel up to it, dinner is in three hours. I'm sure you could find a place to sit. And just so you are aware, the king is very interested in you," she said, halfway out the door.