Chapter 61

(Thranduil)

Rhovanel's breath falls into that peaceful pattern of sleep, and I relax against the wall with her in my arms. I rub my thumb across her bare shoulder, even though she will not know it. Her presence is more comforting than that of anything else I have ever encountered. I feel myself drift slowly into sleep beside her.

The next morning, Rhovanel is awake before I am and swimming in the small area between the waterfall and the cave. I smile and slip into the water behind her.

"Good morning, melamin," I whisper in her ear. She smiles and kisses my cheek.

"Good morning. The water didn't seem so cold in here, so I thought it would be fun to go for a quick swim beneath the falls." I run my hands along her shoulders, feet grazing the sand below. She shivers when my hands brush along her lower back. I chuckle softly and massage her shoulder blades in small circles. She groans and sinks under the water. I follow her under the fall and to the other side.

"Cold!" she squeals when we come up for air.

"Why did you come over here then? The only reason that small pool is warm is from the heat of the cave," I say, wrapping my arms around her shoulders, trying to help keep her warm.

"I don't know, I just wanted to swim under the waterfall. I didn't really think about it," she giggles. Shaking my head, I pull her back to the other side, to the warmth. At some point, our hair tangles together, which makes for a very painful exit. She takes my hair and frees it from her own waves.

We dry off and get dressed, me in a green tunic and brown trousers, she in the dress I gave her yesterday. I am hoping that the metal smith has finished the order I placed and has delivered it to my room.

"Are you ready, melamin?" Rhovanel calls.

"Yes, I am just folding the blankets," I answer.

Rhovanel looks stunning in the gold satin and the silver circlet. She will be welcomed as the queen with it atop her hair.

"Did the guards know we would be out all night?" Rhovanel asks, taking my hand as we exit the cave.

"I told them if two days passed and there was no word from us, then they should send a search party.
Rhovanel, thank you for an amazing night."

"You can be assured, my love, that it was the best night of my life because of you," she grins.

We walk through the forest toward the gates, but we take all the time we can to arrive. No snow flys, but several games of 'It' break out, most of the time Rhovanel climbs a thin tree and does not come down until I proclaim her the winner. But even with all our games, we arrive at the gate before midday.

I bid Rhovanel a reluctant good bye, then head to the metal smith's forge. He is pounding away at a sword when I ring the bell.

"I will be out in a moment!" he calls, leaving his mask on. I wander around and look at some of the more delicate works of the forge. There is plenty of precious metal jewelry, but there are more weapons than I can count in the short moment it takes to gain an audience with the artist.

"My lord, f-forgive me. If I had know i-it was you, I w-would have come s-sooner," he stammers.

"My dear sir, calm down. I was just admiring your work. You are very gifted in your craft."

He smiles at my compliment. "Thank you, my lord. I assume you are looking for the ring you ordered?"

"Yes. Is it done?"

"Yes, I was going to wrap it like you asked after I finished this sword," he admits.

"My good elf, that is wonderful! I can take it now and if you exceeded my expectations, I shall pay you double," I laugh. My joyful mood seems to be scaring the metal smith, but he heads to the back of his shop and returns with the most dazzling ring I have ever seen.

It is better than I imagined it, with the starlight gems resting in perfect intervals around the band. The silver is perfect behind the brilliance of the gems and I can see the writing inscribed along the interior just as I specified.

"Excellent work. It is perfect. You shall be paid twice your weight in gold for such fine work," I say, stepping out of the forge. I never noticed the other silver ring on the table.