Chapter 31

(Thranduil)

After a sleepless night, the morning is a welcome escape from the despair of the situation. Lord Elrond and Fornor arrive at first light and I personally lead them to Rhovanel. Tarawen stands upon Lord Elrond's arrival, but Legolas is still asleep next to Rhovanel.

I gently pick him up and carry him to his own bed. When I return, Annoneth is sitting by the door. When I approach her, she stands, but I motion for her to sit back down. I slump next to her and we sit in silence for a long time.

"How is she?" Annoneth asks.

"I wish I knew. Lord Elrond is her only hope and even then there is little chance," I whisper back.

"Has Elrond said anything of her identity?"

"I barely spoke to him. Just a rushed greeting and directions," I reply. "How is your daughter?"

"Tauriel is good. She is engaging in her studies of history and art."

"Good. How is her father?"

"He is fine. His business is thriving. He has several orders he is constantly working on," Annoneth sighs. Her husband made the chair for Legolas. He is the best carpenter in the Woodland Realm.

I am about to ask how Tauriel's weapon lessons are going when the door opens and Tarawen invites me in. Lord Elrond is laying back in the chair, sweat beaded on his forehead. Rhovanel is lying in the bed with a faint smile on her face. She finally looks peaceful.

"Will she survive?" I ask kneeling at Rhovanel's side.

Lord Elrond straitens up to speak. "She will survive her wounds. She will be killed in Lothlórien if they find her hiding here," he says. I grip her had and face Elrond.

"They will not find her here. And if they do, they will not take her from me."

"You are foolish if you think they have given up their search. I receive letters every month inquiring about her location." When I meet his eyes, he adds, "I will not lie to them, but I will not tell them on my own accord. I recommend you and Lady Rhovanel travel to Lothlórien and make a case for her acquittal. It will be easier than hiding her from Celeborn and Galadriel." He sets a hand on my shoulder and nearly collapses. I catch him, steadying more than half of his weight.

"I shall show you to a room. You are in no shape to travel. Please stay as long as you like," I say, wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

"Hannon le, mellon nin," Elrond whispers breathlessly. I half lead, half carry Elrond to the guest suite. He grasps the bedpost and waves me away from there.

"I am forever in your debt, Elrond," I say, putting my hand across my chest in salute. Elrond mirrors me. Then I walk back to Tarawen's room where Rhovanel sleeps.

Tarawen is sitting in the chair still, too exhausted to stand upon my entry.

"Is it safe to move her? I think you should have your bed back," I whisper.

"Yes, my lord. Just try not to shake her too much."

"I will send a maid in with new sheets," I say, picking Rhovanel up. She curls up against my chest and yawns. I carry her to her room and lie her in the bed. Then I pull the sheets to her chest and pull a chair up. The daggers she always carries are on the table. I don't know how they came to be there, but I have no desire to find out now.

Rhovanel sleeps soundly through the night and I make sure that nothing wakes her up. I pour several glasses of wine throughout the night, but only drink a few. I find myself in no mood to get drunk and forget.

When the first beams of light filter through the windows, Rhovanel's eyes open. They are still as blue as the sky during a full moon and as stormy as the southern sea. She smiles at me, and I can feel my heart melting.

"Good morning," she says, pulling me towards her so our noses are less than a centimeter away.

"Good morning, melamin," I say back, closing the small gap between our lips. She smiles against my lips and I pull back enough to see her beaming face.

"How are you feeling?" I ask.

"Much better. Tarawen did amazing healing me."

"About that, Tarawen was not the only healer that saved you," I confess. Rhovanel sits strait up, causing her to grimace.

"Who else?" she asks.

"Lord Elrond."