Chapter 7

(Thranduil)

I had a hard time walking away from Miniel's room. I lost my head when she spoke to me so rudely. I had expected the elleth that kneeled in the forest to be a little more respectful than she had been.

Unfortunately, I could not stop to think about it. I made my way to my study, where I had an hour's worth of paperwork to finish. The kingdom did not shut down when I left. I had trade orders to file, staffing to do, the list was endless, but I could take a break for dinner.

"Ada?" a little voice said. I had forgotten to see Legolas! I felt so awful, I promised my son I would do whatever he liked when I returned. I did not see him at all last night. I had been do caught up with the spiders and then Miniel...

"Oh, Legolas, I am so sorry! Come, sit here with me," I gestured for him to sit on my knee while I finished the last orders. Legolas crawled into my lap and watched while I finished my paperwork.

"Ada, who was that girl you carried in?" Legolas asked quietly. He must have been near Tarawen's room when I carried Miniel in.

"She was fighting orcs on the edge of the forest and I asked her to come here. But then she ran away and got attacked by spiders. She hit her head, so I had to bring her to Tarawen. She'll be leaving in a few weeks." I explained. Legolas was a good listener. His eyes never strayed from mine. I noticed then that his eyes were only a few shades lighter than Miniel's. They were blue but clouded over, a result of my own pale blue eyes.

"Will she be joining us for dinner?"
Dinner! I had forgotten the feast tonight. It was a welcome home one, though I was only gone for a day. I often wondered why everyone loved feasting so much. I guess it was an excuse to drink. I always served the most exquisite wine...

"Ada?" Legolas interrupted my thoughts.

"If she feels well enough, I suppose." It was the best answer I had. I really didn't know if she would or not, but I liked to believe she was just as interested in me as I was in her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that evening, just as I was sitting down after the customary toast, Miniel walked through the door. Everyone had resumed their quiet conversations and few noticed her. But I could not take my eyes off her. She wore the dress I chose for her, a pale blue one with gold embroidery at the neck and waist line. It seemed to fit her perfectly, though she was constantly tugging at the skirt.

I saw her look around the room for an empty chair, her eyes settling in the only one, the one to my left, normally reserved for Annoneth, who was sitting with Faelon on this night. Miniel looked at me, then turned to leave. I pushed my chair back and walked over to her, catching her arm before she could open the door.

"Please, stay." I begged. I wanted to know more about her, even though she snapped at me earlier. I would have felt defiant if I had woken in a strange place too. She looked at me for a moment, trying to read my face, before nodding and allowing me to lead her to the table.

"Who are you?" Legolas asked innocently. He had sat up in his chair when I brought her over, ears perking a bit when she sat down.

"Why, I am Miniel! Who are you?" Her tone was playful, as if she had spoken to children all her life. She beamed at Legolas, who beamed right back.

"I am Legolas! Prince of Greenwood!" Legolas announced, puffing his little chest out. He was trying to show off. I smirked to myself. He reminded me so much of his mother, when we had been young and carefree....

"Right, ada?" Legolas beamed. I silently cursed myself. Why did these flashbacks plague me so?

"I am sorry my leaf, I did not hear you. Though I am certain you are right." I tried. Legolas giggled madly. Miniel even cracked a smile, color rushing to her cheeks.

"I think you should ask him what he said before you agree with him," she whispered, sipping her wine.

I looked at Legolas. He was beaming from ear to ear. "What did you say?" I leaned in close.

"I can't tell you now, Ada! You already told me I was right!" he squealed before jumping from his chair and running out of the room. I sighed before wiping my mouth with a napkin and standing to follow him.

"Let me," Miniel said, placing a hand in my shoulder. I gave her my approval and she followed my son out. I wanted to know what he had said, but not to disrupt this new bond between my lonely son and the stranger. Something about her seemed so familiar.