Chapter 45

(Thranduil)

The first place I need to visit is the dungeon. Rivornor must account for his actions, or be slain. Rhovanel and I find him lounging on the stone cot, a smirk on his lips. His dark hair looked greasy and in need of a brush. He did not look defeated, not by a long shot.

"Stand filth!" I thunder. Rivornor sighs and swings his legs to the ground. When he approaches the bars, I grab his tunic and yank him against the door. He falls when I release him, and Rhovanel hides a smile.

"Is that the best you have? Really, I expected more from the king," Rivornor says, wiping blood from his nose.

"That is all the energy I shall waist on you, traitor. I am resting for your interrogation later. Maybe even your execution, if your answers prove inconsequential," I hiss.

"Why wait? I know you want me dead, so why should I tell you anything? You might as well kill me now!" he shouts as I walk away. Rhovanel is still smiling at him when I turn around. It is the same mischievous smile I have seen too many times. She waves goodbye to Rivornor and bounds after me.

"What was that? You acted like a small child saying goodbye to a kind stranger," I growl. She is taken aback by my tone, that much is clear from the glare I receive.

"If you continue speaking to me with that tone, I shall refrain from telling you my brilliant plan," she snorts.

"When did you conceive such a brilliant plan?" I ask gently.

"Better. Only just now when you walked away. Rivornor is a prideful coward and likes to have control. He will never say anything to you or to any of your male guards. He will only speak freely with an elleth, and not one that he fears," she smirks.

"The answer is no. You are not interrogating Rivornor alone," I say, shaking my head.

"Why not? He already thinks I'm weak, and I just acted like a child in front of him, and he gave me a grin of superiority. One that made me want to break his nose. That is how I know he will answer my question provided I ask them the right way," she reasons, jutting her chin out at me. Why does she always have to be right?

"I do not like the idea of you in a room alone with him."

"You can take every precaution you like. Search him for hidden blades. Bind him hand and foot. You can even send him in stark naked if it makes you feel better," she laughs. I glare at her.

"As if I would even think-"

"I am merely playing with you Thranduil. I will be perfectly safe. I can conceal my blades beneath my sleeves and defend myself if he somehow manages to get a blade in the room anyway." I sigh. This is such a bad idea, it is hard to even consider it an idea, but if Rhovanel is as good at reading people as I think she is, this is the only way to get any information from Rivornor at all.

"Fine, but I want Annoneth in the room as well," I counter. Rhovanel thinks about it for a moment, then agrees.

"Good. Now I need to see my son," I say, heading in the direction of his room. I see Rhovanel grin from the corner of my eye and wonder what she has planned.

We walk in relative silence on the way to Legolas's room. I make a quick stop for my winter circlet and notice the torn drapes and sheets. This is why I stayed in the dragon room. I knew Rivornor would have some assassin prepared to kill me. It is also why Legolas does not have a window and always sleeps with a guard at his door. Rhovanel gapes at the mess in my room.

"H-how did you know?" she stutters. I rest my hands in her shoulders.

"Because I have been king for a long time." She nods, then steps over to the shattered bedpost. She runs her hand along it, then eyes me curiously.

"No assassin would do this," she says.

"You are right. I was doing some knife drills after you were taken, and I just... snapped." Rhovanel takes my chin softly in her hand.

"I am not leaving you again. I promise," she whispers. I lean in and she rests her head on my good shoulder. I set my head on hers, breathe her in. Her hair smells of winter air: fresh and clean, even a hint of pine.

After a minute, we head for Legolas's room. The night-shift guard is long gone, and I can faintly hear Legolas sparring with his bedpost inside. My son throws the door open before I can knock twice. He leaps into my outstretched arms, clinging to my chest. I run my hand through his soft blond hair, tears spilling from my eyes.

"I missed you so much, ada," Legolas cries.

"I missed you more, ion- nîn." We stay like this for a long time, and Rhovanel keeps a short distance. I can see the smile on her face and the water in her eyes, though she does not cry.

Finally, Legolas pulls away and runs over to Rhovanel. She picks him up and rubs noses with him. I can't help but smile as I lean against the door frame. Rhovanel obviously makes Legolas as happy as she makes me.

"Ada, I have to tell you something," Legolas giggles, climbing down from Rhovanel.

"Oh? And what could that be, my leaf?" I ask, picking him up.

"Do you remember the first night Rhovanel ate dinner with us?" he asks.

"How could I forget?"

"Do you remember the thing I said and you confirmed?"

"No, I did not hear what you said, and neither of you would tell me," I say, poking his arm.

"Rhovanel and I decided that it is time to tell you," he laughs.

"I am listening," I say, turning my ear to him.

"You told me I was right in guessing that Rhovanel would be my new nana."