Chapter 43

(Rhovanel)

I followed Tarawen back to the main part of the cavern where I could find my own way around. I checked on the great hall first. It was clean and empty. Then I checked the throne. Fornor was standing to the side, signing a piece of parchment Haldir was holding.

"Rivornor's death sentence?" I ask casually. Honestly, I am eager to see the scum squirm. Haldir and Fornor nod. They are anxious to see the end of Rivornor too. "Are Tauriel and Annoneth together?"

"Yes, I saw them heading to the library it ten minutes ago. Legolas is with them," Fornor says. I thank him and head to the library.

The children are sitting at Annoneth's feet, reading. Annoneth is doing paperwork on a tablet. There are piles of books stacked around the central couch they are sitting on.

"Annoneth, may I speak with you for a moment?" She looks up and then pats Tauriel on the shoulder to leave. Legolas grabs the book she was reading and sprints down the aisle with Tauriel hot on his heels.

"What news of Thranduil? I heard about the scene in the great hall. I cannot believe the guard would turn against Thranduil. Of all elves them least of all. I guess it just shows how much you can not trust anyone," she rants. I decide it is safer to answer her first question than add wood to her burning hatred of others.

"Thranduil is going to be fine. The wound is closing and his blood supply should be reset soon. Then it is merely a matter of will, and the king has more than enough of that," I grin. Annoneth smiles faintly, clearly distracted with thought on another subject.

"Thinking about Rivornor?" I ask. She seems startled, but I know I guessed correctly. She sighs and points in the direction of the garden. I nod and follow her there.

The wind howls through the branches. It make my loose hair blow everywhere; I tried once to pull it back, but then decided it was not worth it. Annoneth's braid flys behind her, but at least she can see. The flowers no longer bloom and all the leaves are brown and brittle.

"What are you worried about?" I ask.

"I am concerned that Rivornor is not the last threat. I do not believe him smart enough to plot as far ahead as his actions suggest."

"You think there is another head to decapitate?"

"In a way, yes." Her eyes are fixed on the sunset. The sky is clouded, but the sun is just visible on the mountains. The forest is darker than I ever remember it being. I don't hear anything but the screaming wind of winter.

"Do you think it could be another elf? I would like to think better of our kind, but I am finding a serious lack of faith as of now," I say.

Annoneth laughs. "No, I think it is a man. Most likely one of the few that kidnapped you." I think about that for a moment. The only one that ever spoke to me was an elf, but the tall man had an air of authority about him. I wrap my hands around my neck.

"It could be, but they spoke of Rivornor as their leader."

"Then I don't know. We shall interrogate Rivornor before we kill him. Maybe he will give up his superior for a lesser punishment." I nod. I am anxious to know what Thranduil will decide as Rivornor's punishment.

Annoneth and I stay outside in the gardens for a few more minutes before the cold becomes uncomfortable. Legolas and Tauriel are still in the library, wrestling. Annoneth pulls them apart and sends them both to bed. Legolas asks to see Thranduil, but he yawns mid request.

"I think it is high time for this Prince to go to bed. You can see your ada in the morning, fair?" I say, picking him up. Legolas rubs his eyes and nods. I smile and nod to Annoneth. Then I carry Legolas to his room.

"Rhovanel, do you remember what ada said at diner your first night?"

"Of course," I smile. "How could I forget?"

"Do you think ada really meant it, when said I was right?"

"I think your Ada didn't know what he was saying, but I think he would not disagree now if you told him," I chuckle.

"Maybe I will tell him in the morning..." Legolas yawns, pulling the sheets to his chest.

"I think he would like that. I think he would like it very much," I chuckle, blowing the candle out and closing the door behind me.

I walk back to the dark part of the cavern and manage to find the dragon door again. I wonder why Thranduil is staying in this room and not his own, but do not want to wake him from his peace. I lie down beside him and go to sleep.