Chapter 25

(Rhovanel)

When Thranduil bid me good night and I closed the door behind him, I slumped down the door and put my head in my hands. How could I do this to him? I couldn't possibly stay here. I am a liability to everyone. As soon as Lothlórien hears that I am here, they will storm the kingdom to find me.

Sighing, I crawl over to the bed. Not even bothering to remove my loose tunic, I collapse and fall asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The light hits my eyes in the morning; it is one single beam of light, but it is right in my eyes and I can not go back to sleep. I jump out of bed and get dressed. There are no practical clothes in the wardrobe, so I slip into a shimmering silver dress. It actually fits perfectly. It flatters my chest and flows around my legs, allowing me to actually move. I grab my twin blades and slide them up my long sleeves.

I throw my door open and am met by a guard, a more attentive guard. He stands when I emerge and blocks my way.

"What are you doing?" I ask. Surely Thranduil would not have placed a guard outside my door to keep me locked away. If he did, there was about to be a seriously loud confrontation soon.

"My orders are to keep you safe in your room, my lady. It is not safe outside," he answers.

"Who gave you these orders, the captain or the king?"

"The captain, my lady," he returns confused.

"Then I need to have an audience with the king because that is directly against his orders," I say, pushing past the guard. He stares after me, but decides it is better to follow me than to let me roam around alone.

I vaguely remember where the throne room is, but I find landmarks quickly and speed along to find Thranduil. He is sitting on his throne in full armor and his autumn crown, listening to Annoneth's plan of attack.

"Then we shall send the second battalion along the eastern flank to surround the orc army-" she stops when she hears footsteps. Thranduil sits up and sees me. I can see his body language change immediately, where he was unconcerned and kingly before, he was particular and natural now.

Annoneth's face is almost as red as her hair. She is gaping at me like a fish out of water. It makes me chuckle to myself. It was ridiculous of her to think that one guard with a dumb excuse would keep me in my room. Thranduil is still looking at me with a smile plastered on his face. I can feel my face heating, but then I remember I'm supposed to be angry at Annoneth, so I storm over to her.

"Why did you post a guard outside my door? Be careful, I know what you told the guard, and I know what a steaming pile of orc guts it is, so I hope you answer honestly."

Thranduil stares at me, then at Annoneth, then back to me. I can see rage fill his eyes. He already has an idea of the answer, and he doesn't like it.

Annoneth smirks. "I put a guard at your door because you are a wanted criminal, and I think you are a threat to the safety of the king," she growled at me. I knew I would never be rid of my name.

"I can assure you, I am no threat to the king and his son. You, however, are not quite so safe. I am not a murderer, I am a warrior. I kill where necessary, but I might make an exception for you if you try to bind me like that again." She glares at me and glare right back. Thranduil has come to stand between us, to stop the fight that is coming.

"Captain," he says in a steely tone, "I specifically told you that Rhovanel was to receive no punishment or reprimand for the crimes she was accused of. She has promised me of her innocence and I trust her. Another act like this will land you in a cell with a charge of treason hanging over head." Annoneth nods and bows with a fake smile polluting her delicate features. She walks down the path without another word.

"Well, it was a good plan until it came crashing down," Thranduil muses.

"I'm sorry, what?" He wasn't making any sense at all to me. I thought he was referring to the battle strategy.

"Annoneth's plan to keep you locked up. She chose a rather mild mannered guard for you. That was her first mistake. She also assumed you would believe the lie she fed the guard. There's her second mistake. She did not have a good excuse when you confronted her; third and most damaging mistake," he says, leaning down to me.

"I am not as weak willed as I look," I return. Thranduil has wrapped his arms around my back and is rubbing small circles around the small of my back, sending chills down my spine.

"Thranduil, the guards, they will spread rumors," I gasp.

"Let them. I do not care anymore," he whispers before pressing his lips to mine.