Chapter 26

(Thranduil)

Rhovanel pulled away. I dropped my head in disappointment. Then she lifted my chin and said, "hey, who taught you to kiss? You're supposed to lean into it." I grin and press my lips to hers again, harder this time. She wraps her arms around my neck and I pull her against me.

When we finally come up for air, we are both breathing hard. She smiles at me, and I pull her back in for another brief kiss.

"Rhovanel?" I whisper in her ear.

"Yes?"

"I love you." She looks at me, eyes wide.

"I love you too, but I am a liability, a threat. As soon as Lothlórien hears I'm here, and they will hear, I am as good as theirs-"

"Shhhh. I will not allow them to take you. You are safe here." She looks at me again, and I can see a glimpse of hope in her eyes.

"Have you told Legolas that you're leaving again?"

"I thought it better to let him sleep a bit longer. I don't think he's had much sleep these past few days."

"Let me talk to him again, please. I really think it helped last time," she pleads. I have no objections, I believe she helped too.

"Absolutely, but I need to tell him myself that I am leaving. We should go together," I suggest. Rhovanel nods, and we start making our way to my chamber.

"So, the plan of attack is set?" she asks after a prolonged silence.

"Mostly, yes. The main point is cutting them from any escape routes. See how they fight with an enemy on all sides. Our army outnumbers them two to one, it is a battle they cannot win."

"And you will lead the charge with Annoneth?" she asks. I am not sure if I want Annoneth by my side with her judgement as clouded as it is right now. It seems counter productive to me.

"I am still thinking about that," I answer simply.

"It would be an honor if you would let me serve at your side," she says. I am so surprised at her request, I stop walking and pull her to the side.

"You want to go back out there and fight more? We just escaped a huge battle-"

"Fighting is part of who I am, I will not sit here in this cave and be useless when there are things I can do to help," she interrupts.

"It would help me to know that you are here and out of harm's way," I plead. She looks up at me with that smirk I saw on her face the day she ran into the forest and into a spider nest.

"Thranduil, how many fights are we going to have to be in before you learn that I can handle myself?"

"Rhovanel, I know you can handle yourself, I don't want you to have to handle yourself. I want-" I had quite a few more reasons for her to stay but I was interrupted with the one reason that I could not argue.

"What would Legolas say if I made him a promise to keep you safe, and you died?" I have no argument for that. Legolas is my whole world, I would never forgive myself if anything happened to him. I refuse to die and leave him as a child-king in my place. I had not been ready when my father died, and I had been past the age of maturity.

I sigh. "Alright, but I want you to be at my side, please don't leave my sight."

"That is a hard thing to promise in battle," Rhovanel replies.

"Try," I say.

"I promise, I will do my best to stay near you in the coming battle. I will also keep my standing oath to your son: you will return home to him alive and well," she swears. I relax a little to know she has made a promise.

We reach my door at last and quietly push it open. Legolas is still sleeping in the bed, the sheets are knotted up, showing how restless his night has been.

"Ada!" he screams, waking from his nightmare. He turns and sees Rhovanel in front, and he smiles weakly at her.

"Oh, Miniel, I had the most terrible nightmare. You and ada were fighting and you got hit and then ada got hit and you both died and-" he started crying, unable to finish his thought.

Rhovanel sits on the best beside him and pulls him into a hug. I come and kneel by the bed between them.

"Part of your dream was right, Legolas, but neither of us is going to die. Rhovanel made you a promise, did she not?" I try to say encouragingly. I can't make a promise like this, but Rhovanel did, so I would to.

Legolas nods. "And she kept it," he sniffles. A small strand of hair falls into his face and Rhovanel pushes it back behind his ear.

"She has proven herself capable of keeping her promises, so I shall come home when the enemy is destroyed, I promise." Legolas leaps into my lap and tries to hug me. He can't really get his arms around my chest plate, so I pull him up to my neck where he can get a good grip.

We sit there for a while before I have to leave. I have many more affairs to finish before the woodland elves can march on the invading orc army.

"Legolas, would it make you feel better if I gave you more than just a promise of return?" Rhovanel says. I look questioningly at her, what more can she do than promise?

"Would you mind if I braided your hair?" Legolas wipes his tears and nods.

"Wonderful! Come sit right here," she says, motioning to the chair I had built for him when he was twenty. Legolas climbs off the bed and onto the chair.

"This is a braid I created myself, so I am the only one who can undo it." Legolas smiles.

"So you have to come back!" he squeals.

"Exactly," she replies, fingers flying. I walk to the chair and kiss Legolas on the cheek.

"I love you ion- nîn. I will see you soon."

"I love you too, ada."

I look at Rhovanel. She is braiding a fishtail down Legolas's back, but it is slightly different. She has taken the top half of his hair and fishtailed it normally, but she is weaving the bottom half in differently. I can't stay and watch her braid, I have several things to do.

"I will see you in one hour in the great hall Rhovanel. Legolas, I will see you soon." Then I turn on my heel and walk out.