Chapter 47

(Rhovanel)

Annoneth and I race through the hall to my room. It is the most fun I have had in a long time. Annoneth stretches her leg out to trip me; I jump to avoid it and hold my arm out to stay in the lead. I try to stop just before my door, but Annoneth wraps her arm around my shoulders and we tumble forward. We roll into the wall and land with our feet in the air and the world upside down. We do not correct ourselves, we stay where we are and laugh until our sides hurt.

"I think we should sit up now," she sighs. I think so too, I'm starting to see stars. We right ourselves and lean against the wall.

"Where will you go?" Annoneth asks after a moment.

"I will go back to the cave I inhabited a year ago, provided it has not been overrun by orcs. I think I will work on some spells, consult some old friends. Nothing very exciting."

"That sounds peaceful. I am sure you will enjoy your reprieve. I am sorry to leave you, but I need to debrief the guard on Rivornor's execution." She stands and starts off down the hall.

"Thranduil is having him executed?! He gave up the information we needed."

"Yes, and he is also a lunatic with a habit of violence," she returns. "It does not matter that you relieved him of his dominant hand, Rivornor can still do serious damage to Thranduil's reputation. And if an example is not made of this traitor, what is to stop others from following him?"

There she goes being wise again. I can't say I'm upset that he is going to die, I can say I am disappointed that I could not use Rivornor to his fullest advantages: using him as bait to draw Umon out of the shadows... I am out of ideas. I guess Rivornor's death will not be so wasteful after all.

I shrug and wave Annoneth away. She smiles and continues down the hall. I push my door open and sink into the bed. After I stare at the ceiling for ten minutes, thinking about the blades I am going to make and how long it might take, I sit down at the desk and start drawing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Four hours later, a servant reminds me of dinner's imminence. I cover my sketches and slip into a fresh dress. It is deep blue with silver stitching. I pull a light silver cloak on over my shoulders. I have decided to leave shortly after the conclusion of dinner.

I leave the sketches where I can grab them and leave quickly, then I head to the dining room. There is one long table with Thranduil at the head and Legolas to his left. I take the chair to Thranduil's right and sip the already poured wine. Legolas is dumping fruit into his plate and Thranduil is twirling his glass.

"What did you do today, Legolas?" I ask to break the awkward silence.

"I shot four targets at forty meters and hit each one in the center! Haldir was very impressed," he brags. Thranduil smiles for a second before the scowl returns to his face.

"That is very impressive Legolas. Have you practiced any of the drills I showed you?"

"Yes! I showed Haldir those too. He complimented your teaching. Then he showed me a few more moves. Would you like to see?" he squeals.

"Of course!" I say. Thranduil shoots me a glare, but does not object aloud. Legolas jumps from his chair and runs to get his blades.

"So when did you schedule Rivornor's execution?" I ask when the door closes behind Legolas.

"In one week. I want to let him stoop for a while with his stump of an arm. It has been a source of humility that he has severely lacked."

"Will you hang him or behead him?"

"He will be ridden of his head then cast into the river for the fish," Thranduil growls. I can't tell if he is just glad to be rid of Rivornor or if he is still upset with me.

"I am leaving after dinner," I blurt. Thranduil jerks slightly. I can see pain in his eyes for a moment before they harden.

"Where will you go?"

"Back to the mountains. I just need some time to myself. I still love you, and plan to return when I have control of my feelings." Thranduil nods disappointedly.

"Have you told Legolas yet? He will need another teacher-"

"Legolas is free to visit anytime he likes. I will leave you with a map. Feel free to join me any time." Thranduil nods, and I thought I saw a glimmer of a tear, but it's gone before I can get a good look. I want to say more, but I don't know what to say. It is difficult to comfort the angry.

"Rhovanel, look!" Legolas calls as he throws the door open. He jumps into the room and starts spinning his blade. He twirls it in circles in front of his chest in loops, then kicks his head over his head and spins down to the ground and stabs the floor. It looks like a defensive turned offensive move. Haldir is a good teacher if Legolas learned how to do that in a day.

I clap for Legolas when he beams at me. Even Thranduil looks surprised.

"Be careful, Thranduil. He may very well be better than you someday," I mumble. Thranduil sneers at me.

"Not today. Besides, his passion is for archery." I lightly glare at him. He smirks back. Before I can argue with him, a servant brings the roast and salad on platters and start serving. We eat in relative silence, Legolas asking simple questions the only kind of conversation.

After we finish eating, Thranduil stands and leaves without another word. I stare after him, but I know it's better not to follow. Legolas leaps over the table and tackles me to the floor.

"When is the next lesson?" he smiles.

"Legolas, I have to leave for a while," I mumble.

"Why?" he says, disappointment descending upon his face and tone.

"I have some things to do, but I will come back, and when I do I will bring something very special for you, alright?" I am holding tears back as best I can. Legolas is not so lucky.

"I don't want you to go! You're supposed to be my nana!"

"I know, and I would like to be Legolas, so you can come and visit me anytime your Ada allows."

"Can I come with you now?" he chokes. I pull him into my arms and stroke his hair.

"I'm so sorry, my leaf, I can't take you with me right now," I sob.

"Could you braid my hair again? That way ada has to let me see you?"

"Yes, of course I can. You can visit me when you need a new one," I say, sitting in the chair. Legolas sits at my feet and I start weaving his hair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walk back through the halls to my room. Legolas will visit me often, hopefully every three moons, but that all depends on Thranduil. He could lock his son in a room for the next ten years if he so desired.

Thoughts fixated on Thranduil and Legolas, I slide my door open and grab the sketches.

"Ehem."

I freeze.