Chapter 32

(Rhovanel)

"Thranduil," I breathe. Lothlórien will find me sooner than I had hoped. I feel my breath come faster and faster, but I do not feel as if I am breathing at all. My head starts throbbing and my legs start shaking.

"Rhovanel, calm down, calm down. We can go to Lothlórien together and explain what happened. They will see the truth; all will be well," Thranduil says, rubbing my hand. I still feel light headed, but my breathing is slowly returning to normal. Thranduil sits on the bed next to me and wraps his arm around my waist. I lean my head against his shoulder and try to hold back the tears. Lothlórien will not be forgiving. Even if they believe my plea of innocence, they will kill me for running. Thranduil cannot protect me there.

"There is someone who wants to see you," Thranduil says, grabbing my hands and pulling me out the door. I recognize the halls we travel and start running. Thranduil runs to my side, but does not pass me. I round the corner too fast and tumble into wall, pinning Thranduil under me. Our backs hit the wall, but we both burst into laughter. As we sit there laughing, The person I am supposed to see walks up and taps Thranduil's shoulder.

"Ada, when do I get to his Rhovanel?" he asks, winking at me.

"You will get your turn when I have finished!" Thranduil booms. His voice is deep and smooth. His laugh fills the hall as he pulls Legolas and I into a tight embrace. Legolas squeals and tries to work his way through Thranduil's arms. He was almost out when I wrapped my arm around his waist and dragged him back in.

We stayed there, laughing together for at least twenty minutes. When Thranduil finally released us, Legolas jumped on him. I stood up and watch the two of them laugh together and felt a sharp pang of guilt in my heart. I wish I did not have to leave.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day dragged on after laughing with Thranduil and Legolas. Thranduil has a realm to run and Legolas had history lessons with his friend, Tauriel. I offered to walk him there, but Thranduil seemed vehemently against such a task, and I chose not to argue about something so small. Besides, I would be teaching Legolas tomorrow.

I sat in the library most of the day, reading about battle strategy and negotiation tactics. When the words started to blur, I decided to take a walk in the gardens. The trees were bare, but the autumn flowers were in full bloom. Turtleheads were everywhere, their pink hue covering the gold of the less common marigold. I even see an aster, as blue as the sky. The red and gold leaves beneath my feet crunch with my every step, calming my raging imagination.

There is a slight breeze and it shakes the thinnest branches. It carries the scent of campfire and smoke. I turn my head to the origin of the breeze, expecting a forest fire to be raging toward the hill, but only see the most colorful sunset. The clouds were a pale purple and contrasted wonderfully with the red of the sun. The sky around the sun fades from a fiery orange to a calm blue.

"Beautiful." I jump half a meter into the air upon hearing his bodyless voice.

"Thranduil, how did you sneak up on me?" I ask. I know it couldn't have been that difficult with how engrossed I was in watching the sun set. Thranduil grips my shoulders and starts rubbing them, reliving some of the stress that burdens me.

"I know this garden better than most. Uiril and I would sit on this bench and watch the sun rise together. Strangely enough, she never liked watching the sun set," Thranduil sighs, staring at the sky.

"Why not?"

"I like to think that she never enjoyed seeing the end of the day. As if it were a bad omen." Thranduil's hand presses against an old battle wound and I gasp in pain. Thranduil rips his hands away and moves to be in front of me.

"I am so sorry! Are you hurt? I will call Tarawen..." he starts to say, but I grab his arm.

"Really, I am fine. Just an old scar," I tell him. When I look up, Thranduil is outlined by the pastel colors of the sky and I wonder why Uiril never bothered to look at this view.

"What?" Thranduil jabs.

"What, what?" I snap back.

"You were staring."

"Was not."

"You were."

I cross my arms and stare at obviously stare at him. "That is what staring looks like."

Thranduil chuckles. "Well then I guess you were not staring. Maybe just enjoying the view?" he smirks, turning his head to the side and giving me a full view of his profile. I playfully push him.

"You are too obsessed with yourself sometimes," I laugh. Thranduil looks at me, his face serious for a moment. Then he sweeps my legs from under me and throws me over his shoulder.

"Thranduil!"

"Yes, melamin?" he asks casually.

"Put me down!"

"I thought I was too obsessed with myself. You do not want to see me, so I shall throw you over the rail!" he laughs, walking to the edge of the garden.

"Thranduil!" I squeal, pounding my fists on his back. He just laughs and sets me back on my feet. I glare at him and he chuckles again.

"You are an arrogant pig sometimes, do you know that?" I say, raising my chin at him.

"I know that very well. In fact, it is the single trait I am commented on most," he grins, walking closer to me.

"I do not doubt it," I reply, backing away slowly. Thranduil approaches faster than I try to escape.

"I have many more endearing qualities, you know," he whispers.

"Oh, I am certain you do. I have seen a few of them," I whisper into his ear as he wraps his arms around my back. My fingers find their way to Thranduil's fine blond hair and start weaving through it.

"Rhovanel."

"Yes?"

"Please do not leave. I know you have been planning an escape, but I beg of you to stay."

"I can not go back to Lothlórien, Thranduil. I do not want to die for my father."

"Then stay and face this ordeal with me."

"If I am locked in a cell, I hope you will keep in mind that I will be after you the moment the door opens."

Thranduil laughs. "I suppose I should keep you away from the dungeons then," he says softly.