Chapter 63

(Rhovanel)

I head to the library with a small amount of guidance from another elf. She seemed like a student with a book in her hand as she walked down the hall.

Elrond was sitting at a grand desk in the library when I walked in. As soon as he heard the door, he stood and gestures me over to a lounge chair in the far corner by a window.

"What was it again that Umon stabbed you with?" Elrond asks, poking at my hips.

"A shard of glass. Tarawen pulled out all of it. At least I hope she did." Elrond nods and asks me to pull up my shirt so he can see the scar. He runs his fingers over it, sending chills down my back. I'll never get over the feeling of knowing there is contact, but not feeling it on my skin.

Elrond is feeling my abdomen for ten minutes before he sits back in a chair of his own and puts his head in his hand.

"Your injury was enough to make you incapable of bearing children. Yet, you carry one now."

"What?" I gasp. "How can you be sure?"

"I can feel it growing in you. I can no longer see your future, my vision is clouded. But I do know that you carry a child, and that your injury will affect it somehow."

"Do not tell Thranduil, please. I do not want him to worry. I will tell him later, when the time is right."

"Rhovanel, I am glad you are back with your kin. It has been too long since we were able to speak freely."

"It has. Your sons seem well."

"Yes, but they are impossible to keep track of. Legolas seems so well-behaved."

"He is submissive to his father. Thranduil has instilled respect in him, but he has also been very loving when he can." I think Thranduil has done an impressive job raising a child and running a kingdom.

"Indeed. Well, I really must attend to the cooks. The feast is going to be as grand as any Rivendell has ever seen. Goodbye until later, Rhovanel," he says, kissing my hand.

I watch him leave them walk out to the balcony. I have a chance to raise a child, if it doesn't kill me. I contemplate ways to tell Thranduil for another half-hour before settling down to read a history book.

About an hour later, I start seeing more and more elves walk toward the dining hall. I send a maid to retrieve Thranduil. I hope he has actually gotten some rest so he can enjoy the night ahead.

I see Legolas and Tauriel running through the legs of Annoneth, so I stand to join them on their walk.

"Where has Elrond placed you?"

"We are on the far side of the waterfall. Where are you?"

"We are just beyond the library," I answer, pointing. She nods and mutters something to her husband. He sighs and peels off towards the library.

"Where is he going?"

"He is going to make sure Thranduil does not oversleep. He has a habit of doing just that when he is under the influence of alcohol."

"Thranduil hasn't had a drop since we arrived," I protest.

"I saw him walking around in a daze not an hour ago. He had a younger Ellie with him, one who was dressed as a student. I assumed the student was leading him to his room. You don't think?" she asks, eyes widening.

"I tend to fear the worst when things do not make sense. We must find him," I gasp, running toward our room. Legolas and Tauriel continue toward the dining hall in the midst of several scholars. I see Elrond standing on a high balcony, watching everyone enter the dining hall.

Annoneth runs alongside me until we get close to the room. She runs past our door and down the corridor a long distance. I throw our door open to reveal what looks like a battleground. There are splatters of blood along the walls and shards of furniture strewn about the floor.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Two orc blades are stuck in the desk and a large pool of blood is soaking into the porous wood. Annoneth runs into the room shaking her head. She didn't see him anywhere. We take off toward the dining hall to alert the other elves. Elrond is waiting at the door for us.

"I was just about to call you. The feast is about to begin. Where is Thranduil?"

"He is gone. There appears to have been a struggle and there is a great del of blood in the room. Elrond, I fear the worst," I cry.

"We will find him, do not fret. Lindir, find the bellringer! Thranduil Oropherion has been taken!"