Chapter 54

(Thranduil)

I could hear faintly the sounds of a fight. Then all the shuffling stopped and two loud crunches followed. Voices were muffled so much that it was pointless to try and decipher the words.

I sat alone in the near darkness for what seemed like an hour before I could hear the faint splash of footsteps through the puddles of filthy water that collect on the uneven floor. I grip the bars of my cell, waiting for my hourly beating, but I am greeted by a far worse sight.

Rhovanel is lead by two guards to the edge of my cell and forced to her knees in front of me. She is bloody and bruised from a fight and she is cradling her arm like it is broken.

I reach my hand out to her, but Umon kicks my arm against the iron bars. I reel back in pain and I can see Rhovanel's eyes widen, then squint shut, as if she is holding back tears.

"What is this Umon? Why do you strengthen my resolve by granting the appearance of such beauty in such grim circumstances?" I call, looking at Rhovanel. Her hair is pulled back into a messy braid that has missed several tufts of hair, her bottom lip is split on the right side, and she is covered in dirt and sweat, but I only see the elleth I want to spend the rest of my life with, however short it may be.

"This is not a social call for you Thranduil, it is the day I ruin your life. Stand up, Rhovanel," he commands. As she starts to stand, I can see her lips moving. I try to read what she is telling me, but Umon turns her away from me before I can.

"Rhovanel, tell me what you think of Thranduil."

She blinks back tears again. "He is the worst elf I have ever met. He is cold and cruel and controlling. He ignores his son and his responsibilities as king to chase elleths who will never love him," she says monotonously. I sit back. I know he fed her those lines, so I do not understand why they hurt so much. I know she loves me, don't I?

"Thank you, Rhovanel. You are dismissed to go change."

"Change into what?" I call. The tears start streaming from her face. No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

"Her wedding dress, of course," Umon laughs. Rhovanel is shoved up the stairs and out of sight. "Do not worry, you will only live long enough to see the ceremony and the death of your son. Then I will kill you myself. That week I promised earlier has been changed to three hours."

"Why did you not tell me about your lust for Rhovanel? You had every opportunity to brag," I call, hatred seeping through my tone.

"This was rather spontaneous actually. She was standing there and I suddenly had the urge to just..." He closes his eyes and clenches his fists. "Well, I am sure you know what I am talking about. Sunset will come soon enough, and it will be the last of your life," Umon calls as he walks away.

I slam my hand against the gate and gravel fall from around the hinges. I hit it again and again and again until my hand feels like it could fall off. I sit back down and try to remember what Rhovanel was saying earlier.

I am terrible at reading lips and it is no use. I throw my head back and scream. I think I heard the rats scuttle away. Rhovanel was trusting me to know what she said, and I failed.

Then I notice that some of the gravel isn't on the ground. I crawl back over to the gate and reach for it. My hand rests on silk, not rock and sand as I expected. I wrap my hand around the material and pull it toward me. It feels like a scabbard. I twist it so that it will fit through the bars. Then I unwrap my gift.

It is a set of twin swords, the most amazing set I have ever seen. They fit perfectly in my hands and cut through the rusty bars like they are not even there. Rhovanel must have made them and hidden them in her shadow cloak. I knew she had a plan.

I stand up and, leaning heavily on the wall, limp out of the cell and up the stairs. Tarawen is crying at the foot of a cell with several jars scattered around her feet.

"My lord!" she exclaims when I fall on the last step. She rushes over to help me up and starts tending to my knee and back. I drink the vile of clear medicine. It feels like liquid fired own my throat, but I am able to stand and move with ease again.

"Legolas needs food now, Thranduil," she cries.

I reach back into the shadow cloak and touch what feels like a leaf. Wow she is good.

"Legolas, eat this," I command, shoving the lembas through the bars. My son takes it ever so slowly and nibbles at it.

"He should be fine in a minute. The lembas will fill his small stomach quickly. Now I must go help Rhovanel."

"Sir, they have more guards posted at her door than you have ever employed. You will not live long enough to see her again."

I grab the unguarded keys and toss them to Tarawen. "Here, use these to free the others," I command.

"Sir-"

"I will not let that monster marry Rhovanel. My life is now dedicated to the destruction of Rivornor and Umon," I vow as I stride up the stairs.