Chapter 58

(Rhovanel)

After Tarawen finished wrapping my abdomen, Thranduil carries me to his room. I rest my head on his shoulder as we descend the short staircase to his room.

"Wait here while I go free Legolas. I shall send Annoneth ahead to wait with you while I speak with my son about his new nana," he beams. Thranduil kisses my cheek and runs to the dungeons.

I sit on the bed at gently press my fingers to the hole in my abdomen. I have wanted children all my life. I've wanted to raise and teach and love a child of my own. I love Legolas, but I am upset Umon ruined my chances to bear my own child. I suppose miracles can happen, but that kind of hope is for the naïve.

The only comfort I have left is that Thranduil still want to marry me even though I can not grant him another child. The tears return the more I think about my injury. I may not die, but I feel like I might as well have.

Annoneth interrupts my thoughts with an embrace strong enough to splinter a tree. I tap her shoulder once and I gasp in some much needed air.

"I am so sorry," she cries, weaving her fingers through my hair.

"It is alright, no extra internal damage," I manage to say breathlessly.

"I meant about your injury," she corrects. Just then, Legolas and Thranduil step into the room. The braid is still in Legolas's hair though it is disheveled and barely recognizable as a braid. It feels like I made it ages ago.

Legolas comes up to my side and gingerly sits beside me. He wraps his arms carefully around my shoulders and squeezes with what is probably all the strength he has left. I throw my arms around his small frame and pull him to my side.

"Legolas, you look like you need some sleep. Why don't you stay here with me, and we can take a long nap, does that sound alright?" I whisper.

Legolas nods and crawls careful over my legs then snuggles under the sheets. Thranduil pulls up a chair and takes my hand. Annoneth takes her usual place in the wall by the fire.

"I really do need to sleep, can we talk more in the morning?" I say.

"Of course, darling. I will join you in a moment," Thranduil soothes, stroking my hair. Then he steps out with Annoneth in tow.

I lean back and curl protectively around Legolas who is already snoring. I start unknotting the mangled braid and fingering through his hair. The prince hardly stirs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thranduil opens the door about an hour later and starts undressing.

"Hello, my lord." Thranduil jumps back, surprised that I am still awake.

"Rhovanel, I thought you would be asleep with the day's events," he breathes, trying not to disturb the snoring Legolas.

"I would be, but I every time I close my eyes, I see a future that will never be."

"Rhovanel, please do not concern yourself with that. Tarawen has been wrong before, and it could be the case here," he says, placing his hand on my shoulder. "Besides, even if it is true,we could, if you should desire, try every night," he whispers in my ear as his hand runs down my spine, sending chills and excitement to course through my body.

"I don't know, it's cozy in here with Legolas; maybe he can sleep here every night..." I muse. Thranduil smirks at me and shakes his head. Then he slips into the bed on the other side of Legolas and pulls the sheets halfway to his chest.

"You need to rest, melamin. I fear tomorrow will be stuffed with planning of the most boring sort." He takes my hand and kisses it, then eased back onto the pillow and drifts off to sleep. I join him shortly, grinning about what might very well be a bright future.