xiv. History

The weather had warmed up quite a bit in the days after Louis took me to the beach, which prompted him to beg my father if he could take me camping in the forest. Dad had been a bit hesitant, partly because of my health and partly because of me being alone in a tent with a boy. I had argued I was nineteen (almost twenty years old) and was completely capable of going camping with a boy.

Dad had only given me a knowing look, mentally telling me he hadn't forgotten about the nightmare a few nights ago, and therefore hadn't forgotten about my heart suddenly speeding up too fast either. I had sighed and silently ate my lunch as Louis continued to try and persuade Dad to let me go.

"Please Mr. Lane? We won't go far, only a little bit into the forest from the cabin. If anything happens I swear I'll bring her here immediately." Louis told my father, who still sat at the kitchen table looking unconvinced. Dad always was hard to convince to do anything.

"You'll keep her calm? And if anything happens-anything at all-you'll bring her here?" Dad spoke sternly, staring Louis right in the eyes. Louis nodded and Dad seemed to think over Louis' offer, my heart leaping with joy when he nodded.

"Alright, you can go. But I swear Mira, if anything happens-" he started, but I had already rushed over to him and hugged him tight, making him laugh.

"Thank you, Dad!" I exclaimed before Louis had held his hand out to me, telling me we had to go to the store in Briarwood to pick some things up before we could leave. I was glad the weather was warming up, all I needed to keep me warm was a t-shirt, a light jacket, and jeans.

Louis had begged me to let him drive, and after working his magical persuasion skills on me, we were soon headed to Briarwood. I had to admit Louis was a decent driver, better than I would have thought.

We had wandered the aisles of the small grocery store, Louis never releasing my hand from his as we perused the snacks and candy. Louis let me pick out most of the treats, paying for them quickly so we could hurry and get to the forest.

I had found a bunch of camping supplies behind the cabin on the back porch when we returned, Louis laughing and telling me he wasn't about to take no for an answer from my father. He was quick to sling one of the backpacks over his shoulder, handing me my own lighter one.

We hiked into the forest hand in hand, Louis trying to decide what would be the best place to set up the tent and everything. He was getting a bit frustrated with all the spots he looked at until I suggested our little clearing. Louis had brightened up immediately and kissed me on the cheek before tugging me towards our stargazing clearing.

Once we arrived, Louis wanted to start on the daunting task of setting up the tent. I had watched humorously as he attempted to make the metal poles stay in the ground, Louis letting a few curse words slip out of his mouth as he removed his hoodie before attempting to try and make a tent again.

My eyes had been immediately drawn to his various tattoos poking out from his grey tank top. Some were nature-related, like the stag and the bird on his right arm, while others seemed like spontaneous ideas one might find on a school notebook. There was elegant and flowing cursive script across his chest, though my eyes couldn't quite read what it said when he moved.

While Louis was struggling with the tent, I had been on campsite duty. I set out a few chairs and cleared some branches and rocks around the campsite, trying to be as helpful as possible. Somehow, Louis managed to get the tent set up and the two of us decided to go exploring until it grew dark.

Eventually the sun was about to set, and Louis and I returned to our little campsite to eat dinner and relax before it was time to sleep. Louis had packed us some sandwiches (he claimed he was a terrible cook and that was all he could make on short notice), but I didn't really complain. I was with Louis, and that was all that really mattered to me.