xii. Into the Ocean

I guess Dad had told Louis he was free to come over to the cabin whenever he wanted to in the future at dinner last night. And when I say whenever, I mean whenever since the doorbell rang when I was in my fluffy Hello Kitty pajama pants and an old t-shirt from New Mexico eating breakfast at the kitchen table.

I had stared at Dad with wide eyes, my spoon for my cereal still in my mouth before I rushed upstairs to hide. Dad only laughed before opening the door, and sure enough, Louis was there.

"Good morning, Louis." Dad called out a bit louder than he should've, knowing full well I was hiding behind the banister at the top of the stairs. I couldn't let Louis see me before I got dressed, I was pretty sure I would scare him with my "just rolled out of bed about ten minutes ago" appearance.

"Good morning, Mr. Lane. Is Mira here?" Louis asked.

"She's hiding at the top of the stairs because she doesn't want to scare you with her fluffy Hello Kitty pajamas and hair like Medusa." Dad said, making me repeatedly bang my head against the wooden banister in frustration before I got up and took off one of my bunny slippers and threw it at Dad's head. Unfortunately I have terrible aim, and the slipper hardly did any damage, rebounding off of Dad's back.

Louis laughed as he watched the slipper fall to the ground, his eyes looking up to see me as I rushed to get to my room. I hurried and closed the door, leaning against it as I heard footsteps coming up to my room. A knock was heard on the door, and I opened it just a crack to see Louis.

"Are you gonna let me in?" He asked with a smirk, laughing when I immediately said no.

"Well do you wanna go out today? I've got an idea of where we could go."

"Where?" I asked, Louis smiling bright.

"The beach."

I was confused at first. Who in their right mind goes to the beach when it's cold out?

"We don't need to swim or anything, just walk around." Louis promised, making me rethink.

"Can I have a few minutes to get ready?"

"Sure."

"Deal." I said before I closed the door and hurried to get myself dressed and ready. I pulled on a New Mexico University sweatshirt and some jeans, putting a beanie on my messy hair and grabbing my best winter coat to keep warm. I hurried down the stairs and put on my boots, finding Louis waiting for me on the couch. He laughed as he came up to me, poking my big jacket.

"Warm enough?" He chuckled as I nodded. Dad told me I could take the truck so long as I didn't wreck it, tossing me the keys and telling me to be careful.

Louis hopped in the passenger seat as I got in the driver's side, placing the keys in the ignition and starting the old truck. I had Louis tell me the directions to the beach, Louis complaining I was a terrible driver the entire way.

"Well I don't see you driving me anywhere, so you can't say anything." I argued as we reached a beach on the coast. The cloud croft made the beach seem to be colored in shades of dark blue and grey, the calming sound of the waves something I never heard back in New Mexico.

"That's only 'cause I don't have a car. I can drive perfectly fine...though I don't have official papers at the DMV." Louis admitted, hopping out quickly once I parked the truck and took the keys out. "I've never really needed to go very far from home before, so I never got an official license."

"Are you serious? How old are you?" I asked.

"Just turned twenty-three." He said, which surprised me. Sure, I figured Louis was older, but not three years (I gave myself a one-year-leeway since my twentieth birthday was in a month and a half).