xxxiv. Bandages

I had realized how crazy my life had become several days later when I had woken up, checked my phone for the date and time, and froze.

March 4, 2015. Tomorrow was my 20th birthday.

How hectic had my life become that I almost forgot my own birthday?

Louis had seemed a bit surprised when I voiced my realization that morning, I hadn't told Dad. Things still weren't back to normal, and I was scared that they would never be.

Had I lost it all? My loving relationship with my father, now strained; my adoration for the beautiful boy who started it all, now faltering with every word left unspoken between us.

One thing was for sure, this would be a very memorable twentieth birthday.

My day had involved very little contact between my father and I, Louis serving to act as my legs and move me around the house. Dad had announced he was heading out, leaving Louis and I to mind ourselves. We had spent time just savoring the moments we had alone, Louis' arms wrapped around me as he just held me and whispered sweet things in my ear.

When night fell, Louis had decided I needed some rest, but I had wanted to stay awake, so we ended up watching a fantasy movie marathon until it got close to midnight. It had always been a Lane tradition to wait until midnight for a birthday to arrive, and I had wanted to stay up to also make sure Dad returned safe and sound.

Louis had assured me he would stay up to make sure Dad was alright and had just turned off the movie we had been watching to prepare to take me to bed when the cabin door opened, Dad walking in with a huge bag in one hand and a small box in another. The cabin door was kicked closed as Dad walked into the kitchen to set the small box onto the table, placing the bag on a chair. I was close to falling asleep when he walked into the living room and kneeled in front of me, a small smile on his face as he held his arms out.

"I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I do believe we have an important birthday to celebrate." He joked, surprising me with the small smile that cracked on my face. I latched my arms around his neck as he lifted me up from Louis' arms and carried me over to the kitchen table. I was sat in the chair in front of the smaller box, my smile growing when I saw Dad take a small cake out of it. Dad hadn't forgotten about our tradition, then again, he was a memory keeper. I don't think he could if he wanted to.

'Happy Birthday Mira' was written in frosting on the cake, my eyes looking to Dad.

"Vanilla?" I asked, Dad smiling as he nodded.

"Of course, I know my daughter. You've always liked vanilla cake since you were four."

Dad had gone to find some candles, complaining he couldn't find a match or lighter before Louis had said he would improvise. The candles were placed on the cake, all twenty, and lit up with a snap of Louis' fingers. I was sung happy birthday by the two men, a smile on my face as they both finished singing. My eyes flickered over to the kitchen clock, seeing the time was 11:57.

"Make a wish, Mira." Louis whispered as he kissed the top of my head, my gaze turning to the candles on my cake.

Twenty candles waiting to be blown out. Twenty years done of my life, so many more waiting to be taken advantage of, and I had no doubt I would use the rest of my life to do amazing things.

What would I wish for though? Good health? Happiness? A long life?

As I looked at my father and my boyfriend in front of me, I knew my wish.

I wish for everything to be the way it was meant to, for everything to work out perfectly fine.

I took a deep breath before blowing all the candles out at once, my eyes catching the clock changing to midnight.