xxv. A Mother's Gift

I felt like a kid on a sugar high as we walked back home from the soccer field. My legs were skipping through the forest, the late afternoon sky blushing above me with tones of burnt orange and dusky purple.

Louis was walking behind me, chuckling at me whenever I would spin or almost trip over myself.

"Careful now." He warned me when I almost stepped on a huge rock, his hand taking my arm to pull me close.

I giggled as I twirled into Louis' side, lifting his arm to rest over my shoulders. Louis seemed surprised by my silliness, pulling me close to press a kiss to my cheek as we walked on.

Imani had suggested we all go out for drinks to celebrate at a favorite spot in the Rift, but Louis quickly added that I was only nineteen and needed to get home seeing how it was getting late. Imani had pouted and pleaded with him for just one drink, but Louis had strictly opposed it.

"What's got you in such a good mood?" He chuckled after I hugged him tight while we walked.

"Thank you, Lou." I whispered into Louis' shirt, making him stop walking. My pinky finger caught his, wrapping around it tight. Louis looked down and smiled before gently uncurling my fingers, his slotting in perfectly in the small spaces between them like a key in a lock.

"For?" He pulled me in close, allowing his head to lean down so my lips could catch his like I desired.

"For today. It was fun." I beamed up at him, Louis' eyes holding a precious look as he gazed at me. His thumb reached up to barely trace over my lips, first the upper and then the bottom before allowing himself a kiss.

"You didn't tell them about my heart." I pointed out. I had noticed it after we had finished playing. I had felt a bit dizzy from the hot sun and the long-sleeved top I was wearing, and Louis quickly took the jersey off of me and helped me get to some shade without drawing any attention to me from his friends.

"I have told them, multiple times." He assured me as his hands went to the backs of my thighs, lightly squeezing as he ushered me to jump up. My legs wrapped around his waistband and my arms around the back of his neck as Louis backed me up against a tree, his soccer bag left forgotten on the ground. My back hit the trunk of a large tree, Louis' face nuzzling into the crook of my neck. I laughed and leaned my head back, Louis taking advantage of the moment to suck on my sweet spot just above the base of my neck. I felt him chuckle as I let out a whine, lips still torturing me with kisses.

"I've told them how you have the biggest heart I know, how you have too much love inside of you for one person to bear." Louis mumbled, one of his hands tugging at the collar of my t-shirt to allow his lips to kiss over my collarbones, teeth barely grazing over my skin.

"Haha, the biggest heart ever." I joked weakly about my enlarged heart, Louis ceasing his adoration of my skin to look at me.

"The biggest heart I know, no matter if it's made of glass." He assured me before our mouths met again, Louis letting me down afterwards.

We reached the cabin before dark, Dad welcoming us back with chicken noodle soup and asking tons of questions about how the match went. He was quite surprised when he heard about my save, Louis only chuckling softly as he ate his soup.

After we had finished eating, Louis and I had begun doing the dishes for Dad. We had a little teamwork going on: I would rinse the dishes off and then hand them to Louis, who would stick them in the dishwasher. Louis took humor in occasionally splashing me with water, earning a slap on the arm from me whenever he would get the soapy water in my hair or on my face.

"Louis, stop!" I laughed as Louis splashed more soapy water on my face, but soon winced when some of the water got into my eye. Louis' joking stopped as he turned my head to see, both of my eyes scrunched close as the soap stung. I tried to reach for a towel to wipe my eyes with, but my arm knocked into cool ceramic instead. My stinging eyes opened to see one of the bowls falling to the floor quickly, my hand reaching out to stop it from breaking.