xliv. Contest

My body hit the ground hard, my back colliding with the cold floor and sucking the breath from my lungs. I had let out a groan as my limbs were quickly pinned down, my eyes scrunching closed as I waited for oxygen to refill my lungs. My chest rose and fell quickly as I caught my breath, hearing a chuckle rumble above me before a kiss was pressed to my neck.

"Looks like I win." Louis said softly, my eyes opening to see Louis above me, rendering my limbs immovable from his weight. Another kiss was given to my lips before Louis rolled off of me, helping me up from the mat on the floor.

Louis and I had been sparring in the gym for several days as part of my newly developed training routine Minerva had made, and every single time we did, Louis ended up winning. Every. Single. Time.

"You alright?" Louis asked in consideration as I stood up, huffing and stomping over to where our water bottles were. He laughed as I used too heavy of a grip on the water bottle cap, making some water spill onto my workout clothes. I groaned in frustration, choosing to sit down on one of the available chairs by the wall.

"I want to win." I told Louis, who smiled and took a seat beside me, his water bottle in hand.

"You never answered my question. I was referring to your body, not your ego." Louis rolled his eyes, making me sigh before nodding.

"Yes, I'm fine. Just had the wind knocked out of me for a bit is all." I assured him. Louis would always ask if I was hurt or not feeling well after we would spar, always making sure I was alright. Nevermind the fact that I was a protector, practically indestructible, he always made sure I hadn't hurt myself after we fought. I figured it was probably just him trying to be a good boyfriend.

"I want to win at least once." I sighed and looked at Louis, who was taking a drink from his water bottle. After he finished, he shrugged. "Without you going easy on me."

"You have defense down, your protector talent makes sure of that. Your only problem is attacking. You get too impatient and leave yourself wide open when you go to strike." Louis told me, lifting his top a bit to wipe the sweat off of his forehead. I was more interested in his chiseled abs than his fighting advice just then, but I still nodded when he looked to see if I was paying attention.

"Can we try again?" I asked Louis, who chuckled at my determination.

"Maybe after lunch, Butterfly. You've gotta be starving after all that." He smirked and pulled my head closer to give me a kiss.

~•~

"I just want to beat him once." I had told Imani and Kaguya as we sat at a table at a café in town, my eyes watching Louis refill his drink across the room. Apparently it was a tradition of theirs for everyone to head out for lunch after their morning training. Liam, Niall, and Zayn were chatting about something on the opposite side of the table, while Harry seemed to be writing something important down in a notebook he brought along.

"I mean, I want a hot Italian boyfriend with amazing abs and lots of money, but that's not gonna happen either." Imani commented, making me sigh.

"Hey, don't think too badly of yourself." Harry suddenly butted in, taking a moment from his writing to include himself in the conversation. He must have caught my thoughts. "No one has ever beaten Louis in sparring training. He's just too good."

"No one?" I asked in amazement, Harry's words making me feel a bit better. Harry shook his head no, his long fingers pushing some hair out of his face as he returned to his writing.

"No one, not even Zayn, and he can make anything out of his imagination." Harry pointed out, Zayn nodding from across the table.

I bit my lip as I thought about it. The greatest sorcerer ever...it would make sense. I figured I should at least be proud that I held my own for a while, at least until he would win.