li. Invasion

No matter what Louis did, the healers refused to release me from the psych ward. He yelled, explained, even got to begging, but none of them listened. Even Dad had no power in that situation. 'We can't allow her to roam the Rift free given her spontaneous violent outbursts.' they claimed. So with a heavy heart and shaking hands, Louis held me tight before he had to leave, whispering a promise to get me out before Allister came.

I couldn't sleep that night. My dreams were all memories, all of them only scaring me.

I witnessed my grandfather being killed by Allister's mental talent.

I saw my mother teleboarding high in the sky to try and distract Allister while Dad ran on foot with me in his arms towards the exit of the Cavern.

I saw Minerva crying and promising my grandfather I would survive, that I would live up to all the expectations he had for me.

I saw all the bad things that had happened the last time Allister visited a Luxien portal. The Cavern had been destroyed all too easily, set on fire and burned to the ground while Nox killed anyone who ran for safety. Would the same thing happen to the Rift?

I couldn't sleep at all. Instead of sleeping, I paced. I would get out of my bed and walk around the room for hours, occasionally heading to my window as if Allister was already here. I would constantly check the small window, as if I didn't, maybe I would see a town caged in metal rods of fire and smoke. Maybe there would be a padlock on the exit, maybe only Allister had the key.

Wasn't there a famous poem by someone wondering whether the world would die in fire or ice? And they debated which one was better, which one would hurt less? I didn't need to debate. I knew how my world would die. My world would die in fire. I would die in fire, tied up and unable to move in this stupid room like a witch being cursed of sin.

As I thought about it, I realized the fire had already started. Allister was gathering his wood and materials when he first visited me, lit the match when he got me placed in here, and now that he was coming, the fire was too big to be smothered. Maybe he had already won.

I sighed before looking down at the floor, wrapping my arms around myself. When I looked up, I was surprised to see that the window was reflecting my image back to me faintly by the light of the moon.

I had found a book in the psych library later in that day. I had originally been going to see if there was a book on talents, but instead I found a book on Luxien legends that I surprisingly ended up reading the rest of the day.

The book said that ancient Luxien myth claimed the universe was formed by Chance, the first spirit to be created. He was proud of his work, seeing so many beautiful stars and galaxies all around him. However, he was lonely, he had no one to share his creation with. He thought of an idea to create more worlds, perhaps a world would have a spirit like him to share the universe with.

He got to work creating thousands more galaxies and planets, but became somber when none of the worlds held a spirit like him. Still, he didn't give up. One more, he had believed; he would make one more world and it would have a spirit.

And so Chance made the Milky Way, filling it with stars and solar systems and planets. He looked over his creation, disappointed that there were no spirits, until he saw a beautiful blue aura wrapped around a solar system. The aura was said to swirl and sparkle until suddenly a woman was formed, beautiful and wise. She changed Chance's creation, creating a Sun and an Earth and Moon and so many more celestial bodies. In doing so, she also created life, and Chance was amazed.

'How did you create something so strange? My creations do not hold life, only more planets and stardust.' Chance had asked the beautiful woman, who shook her head.