xlii. Family Reunion

Louis, Dad, and I had begun our trip to the golden tower at the edge of the Rift in a telebus, a city bus without the need for any gas. The driver was telekinetic, making the bus move with his mind, and I marveled at all the buildings through the window on the way.

I had asked Louis what every building was, Louis smiling at my curiosity before answering all my questions.

There was a main street with tons of shops and stores, all kinds of colors. The bakery was a sea-foam green with white wooden paneling and little tables outside for people to enjoy their treats. The bubblegum pink candy store next door was overwhelmed with children, my eyes widening as I saw some of the candy treats move: a chocolate ballerina doing twirls in a little girl's hand and gummy worms crawling around on plates.

There were several clothes shops along the main street, a bridal shop on the corner. I watched in amazement as the tailor's measuring tape slipped around the waist of the bride on its own, pins moving carefully from a cushion to tuck in the powder blue wedding dress she wore.

A grocery store was down the main street a bit, farmers loading crates of fresh produce inside. I was startled to see the employees of the grocery store making produce grow from leafy seedlings, the store manager shaking hands with his business partner.

Construction workers with an earth talent were making more buildings along a side street, easily crafting strong buildings with metal. Teenage teleboarders soared high in the sky, wild and free. I saw an older woman with white hair and wrinkles tending to her gardening store, watering her plants with her water talent, crafting little rainclouds above their pots.

"Louis look!" I kept pointing things out to Louis in amazement, even though he had probably seen them a hundred times before. He only smiled and told me more about whatever I has shown him, allowing me to indulge in my exploring.

I felt like a kid on vacation in Disneyworld as the bus came to our stop in front of the golden tower, all three of us getting up from our seats and getting off the telebus. Louis had tipped the driver in some kind of blue currency, Louis explaining to me they were Luxien dollars.

Louis had had to take my hand and almost drag me inside the tower, I was far too interested in looking around the magical place.

"Come on, you'll have plenty of time to look around afterwards."

We took the steps up to the beautiful building, the heavy doors being opened by Louis. He waited for me to walk inside, but I suddenly found my feet were frozen, unable to move. Dad gave Louis a look, Louis nodding and walking inside the golden tower, closing the door to give us some privacy.

"What is it, baby girl?" Dad asked softly, looking over my anxious expression. I was a mess, my fingernails digging into the palms of my hands and leaving crescent shape imprints. I opened my mouth to say something, but no words came out. I didn't know what to say, but I still tried my best.

"This...she's..." I started before I was taken into a hug, Dad's strong arms wrapping around me tight. I graciously accepted his comfort, finding strength in him being there for me.

"She's the first family member I'll ever meet, it's always been just us two." I whispered from where I was tucked safely inside Dad's hug.

"And you're the only granddaughter she'll ever have. I think she'll be just as anxious." Dad assured me, kissing the top of my head. "Mira, you have nothing to be worried about."

"You think so?" I asked, Dad nodding and releasing me.

"Absolutely."

Dad opened the doors for me, Louis patiently waiting for us as I stepped inside.