liv. Deal

I was falling.

For a moment, all I saw was a tunnel of shades of blue, swirling together and flying past me as I fell down, down, down. My body was heading towards a black hole at the bottom of the tunnel, my hair whipping back behind me and my eyes widening as I got closer and closer to the opening of the black hole. I didn't scream, didn't make a single sound other than a soft gasp as I fell into the black hole.

The room I fell into was pitch black. I couldn't see a thing, my nerves rattling as I landed harshly onto some kind of solid ground. I gave a tiny groan of pain before standing up, my heart racing when I tried to hold my hand up. I couldn't even see the outline of my hand, it was so dark. There wasn't a single trace of light anywhere.

Just then, the entire room around me lit up in shades of black, white, and grey. Scenes flashed on the walls around me like an old movie player, and my curious eyes widened when I saw they were memories. Louis' memories.

I was a time traveler, zipping through Louis' childhood memories like they were my own. I saw everything: saw Lou's first steps, heard his first word, saw him attend school for the first time, saw him play football with his school team, saw him grow up. I was flying through memories I never knew Louis had, like when he punched a kid in the face who was bullying another boy when he was barely a teenager. I saw the love he held for his parents, for his adoptive family that was closer than a birth mother could ever be to him. I saw all of that, but the memories on the walls stopped at one in particular for some reason.

Louis was lounged out on the couch in a warm sweater and jeans, watching the television. He must have been watching some kind of movie because I saw an empty bowl with several un-popped popcorn kernels resting on the bottom and a movie case was laid open on the table. He looked rather relaxed until his adoptive mother rushed into the living room.

She didn't say anything as she swiftly grabbed the remote and changed the movie to the local news, Louis groaning in complaint before he saw what the headline for the news was.

'Local firefighters trapped in apartment fire' ran across the bottom, Louis looking to his distraught mother with wide eyes.

"Mum...is Dad..." Louis couldn't form a coherent sentence, but he didn't need to. Louis' mother was rushing to throw on boots and grabbing a winter coat, ordering Louis to do the same. The two hurried to get in the car, speeding away from the house towards the destination that the news had scrolled along the bottom of the television.

Time flashed forwards and I stood before a scene of a burning building. There was a fire truck to the side pulled up to the curb, the firefighters rushing to get a hose connected to a fire hydrant to put out the burning flames. A crowd had formed along the edge of the street, police officers trying to keep the crowd calm and free from distress, though it wasn't helping much.

My head turned to see a car speeding down the road, stopping on a dime and being shut off as Louis and his mother ran out towards the burning building. Tears were already falling from Louis' mother's cheeks, and her panic only increased as a cop held her back from where she was trying to cross the yellow tape set out to keep bystanders back.

"Miss, you can't go any further." the police man informed her, but Louis' mother was far too upset to care about rules.

"Please, my husband is trapped in there! He's a fire fighter and he's trapped in the building!" She rushed out, Louis's eyes wide as he looked at the blazing orange and red flames taking over the building and the huge smoke column climbing higher into the air.

"Ma'am, I understand that, but you have to stay back." The police officer tried to calm her down, but she only turned and cried into Louis' shoulder. I found the expression on Louis' face strange; it wasn't one of fear, but rather determination. His eyes were calculative, looking over the building and the fire it was consumed with.