xxxvii. Fallen

Louis had been helping me pack my own and Dad's things into suitcases later that night, rushing to get everything together. I had been packing my own things, tossing clothes and items I decided I didn't need. Louis had been packing Dad's clothes and things downstairs in his room, both of us deciding on a plan to escape to the Rift once Dad came home. I had called him earlier, informing him Marissa and presumably Nox were in town. He had assured me he was fine and was hurrying home, which lifted a great weight off of my shoulders.

I had carried my bags downstairs into the living room, seeing Louis sitting on the couch, his eyes trained on a laptop I had never seen him own before.

"What are you doing?" I asked as I set the bags next to Dad's, sitting next to Louis on the couch. My eyes looked over the various tabs open, seeing complex codes and the address of the hospital I had been staying at.

"Looking at something." Louis mumbled, his eyes flickering quickly from tab to tab. I stayed silent, still looking at what he was trying to do, when I caught sight of my name on the screen.

"Why is my name there?" I asked and pointed at the screen, seeing my name as the only recognizable thing among numbers and characters that made no sense.

"This is amazing..." Louis mumbled, still focused on the screen. I grew annoyed, nudging his arm as I waited for him to answer my question.

"Apparently your Dad has been changing records and encoding files about you on hospital computers, official government offices, anywhere that Nox could possibly find you. Have you ever Googled your name?"

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "No. Why?"

Louis quickly minimized the tab with codes, pulling up Google and quickly typing my name. Once he hit the search button, millions of search results pulled up, but not a single one was about me.

"Your dad changed so many records that the only person your name pulls up is an old woman with a similar name that died years ago. No one can find you."

I stayed silent for a moment, not quite sure why Dad would do something like that.

"Why did Dad change all my files? How is that important?" I asked, Louis's fingers ceasing their typing and gripping into fists. I watched as his lips parted, mind still trying to decide on the right words.

"Nox can find anyone. Using online searches and files makes it easier. It happened to...a friend of mine." He explained carefully, biting his lip as he shut the laptop off and placed it inside one of Dad's suitcases.

"A friend of yours?" I asked, trying to stay gentle in my inquisition. This was obviously a sensitive topic for him.

"My friend...he used his talents to help a Terran, and he was put in the hospital after he got hurt. Nox found his hospital files." Louis painfully spoke, eyes trained on the floor.

"What happened to him?" I asked quietly, Louis staying silent, making me think of the worst.

"Did you ever see him again?" I asked my last question, Louis shaking his head no.

"Never again." With that, Louis got up suddenly from the couch and walked to the front door, pushing the curtains covering the side windows over to peer through the glass. "When is your Dad coming?"

I closed my eyes, using my telekinetic senses I had been practicing to sense any cars driving down the old road to the cabin. I did sense one car coming quickly, figuring that it had to be Dad.

"Soon. He's not far out." I assured Louis, who breathed a sigh of relief before grabbing the bags and setting them by the back door.

"As soon as he comes home, we have to head for the Rift. I know where the closest entrance is, it won't take long to get there."