xxviii. Angel

Bright lights flooded my vision, the lights searing my retinas and making me wince. I reached one of my hands up to cover my eyes, the other still holding tight onto the metal pole of my mobile heart monitor. My hospital gown was baggy on my small frame, and the wires connected to my chest peeked out of it. It hurt to breathe, hurt to move, and I wondered if this was me dying. Finally letting go and meeting Mom sounded nice, much nicer than all this pain. Death shouldn't hurt, isn't that why people said the afterlife was a better place?

The bright lights swirled in my vision before fading, revealing the inside of a room I had never been in. The walls were a pastel blue with a small window, the darkness outside revealing how late it was. I looked around to see a huge curtain covering half of the room, hushed whispers behind it making me walk slowly over to it. I pulled the curtain back with a swift motion, the scene in front of me making my blood run cold.

Tucked into white sheets in a bed surrounded by people was Louis.

His eyes were closed, breathing deep as he slept peacefully, though the hushed words of the people around him and the healers working feverishly proved otherwise. Their hands were held over his sleeping body, creating a golden aura around him to keep him safe and sound.

I looked around the room for some sort of explanation, finding Imani and Kaguya sitting silently in chairs by the wall. Kaguya was softly crying, Imani holding her tight with no expression as she watched on. Liam was doing the same to Harry, whose eyes were wide and hands were shaking from fright. Zayn was silent in the corner of the room, Niall sitting quietly in another chair. An older woman who I assumed to be Minerva stood over her best student, worry etched into the frown on her face.

"How could this happen? Louis doesn't have any record of health problems, he's one of the strongest Luxiens I know." She asked the healers. An older woman with pure white hair and wrinkles sighed as she finished her work, the golden aura disappearing over Louis. Her aged fingers fixed his covers a little before tangling with each other in worry.

"To be perfectly honest, I don't know how this could've happened. If what his friend said happened is true, his heart shouldn't still be perfectly fine."

"What do you mean?" Minerva was still worried. I wondered if Louis would believe me if I told him about his teacher's care for him. He always spoke of her like she was sadistic towards him.

"His friend said he collapsed while doing training and wouldn't wake up. That's an indication of a heart problem, but when I tried healing him I found his heart was perfectly fine. Nothing is wrong with it."

Minerva looked speechless as she stared at her best student fast asleep, her facial features turning into a perplexed expression.

"What is going on?"

"Louis said something though." Liam announced, arms still holding a shaken Harry tight.

"Said something?" Minerva was still confused.

"Yeah, before he passed out he said something to me." Liam remembered. "I don't know if it means anything though."

"What did he say?" The healer asked, eyes full of interest.

"Mira's hurt." Liam said, Minerva's attention caught. Her eyes became a little wider, her fingers knotting themselves together.

"M-Mira? Who's that?" She shakily asked, the previously strong and stoic woman becoming shaky.

"Louis' girlfriend." Liam easily answered, Minerva shaking her head before starting to walk out of the room.

"Watch over Louis. I...I have to check something." Minerva ordered before beginning to walk past me out of Louis' room. Just as she was about to pass me though, she paused and turned to stare right at me, even though that had never happened in a vision to me before. She was confused, her expression one of sadness and worry before she shook her head and kept walking, mumbling softly to herself. "It can't be..."