xxxv. Heart-to-Heart

"That feels much better." I breathed out as I laid on the couch, Louis' hands using his healing talent to dull the pain of the marks that were spreading on my feet. Apparently according to Dad the marks were called runes, and the only way to stop the pain they brought was from a healer's aura.

"Thank the spirits the curse is finally broken." Dad sighed in relief as he collapsed in one of the armchairs and turned on the television, flicking between various channels before settling on the news. "Healing you in the hospitals was exhausting."

I rolled my eyes sarcastically. "Sorry, I would've totally healed myself if I could have."

Dad had finally told me the reason why he had to curse me in the memory I saw when I blew my birthday candles out: to keep Nox off of our trail until I was ready for my powers to develop. Apparently I had been a protector all along, the curse only hid it. I was never going to die from heart problems, my protector talent having kept my heart safe from too much damage.

Louis had finished healing my feet and had moved onto my arms when Dad spoke again.

"I think it's time you learned everything about our family. And I mean absolutely everything." He said seriously, making both Louis and I look at him. Was this it? All the mystery surrounding the Lanes would finally be cleared up, just like how I had wished for on my birthday.

I sat up and allowed Louis to sit next to me on the couch to continue his healing, my attention completely focused on Dad. He took a deep breath before beginning his story.

"What you must understand, is that we are a very powerful family. You are related to both the greatest figures for good in Lux, and unfortunately the greatest figures for evil in Nox. The Lane legacy has Luxiens on both sides." Dad started, running a hand through his hair as he explained.

"Your mother's maiden name was Amelie Lexie Floreus, and she was possibly one of the greatest telekinetics to ever be born." Dad sadly said, Louis' posture stiffening as he heard my mother's name.

"Wait...if her name was Amelie Floreus..." Louis started, his eyes wide with realization.

"She was the only daughter of Minerva Floreus, the founder of the Rift. Minerva is also, as I understand, your current teacher Louis." Dad said, making my eyes widen as well.

Mom was the daughter of Louis' teacher. Minerva was my grandmother on my mother's side.

"Minerva is your grandmother, Mira, and my plan was to take you to the Rift to see her and train once your twentieth birthday passed." Dad explained, all the puzzle pieces falling into place. "I mean, who in their right mind takes their daughter with a heart we problem to a cabin in the middle of nowhere for no reason? No one."

"Your grandfather is where you inherited your protector talent from. Theodore Floreus was a protector who could also see the future." Dad said, his face turning stoic.

"But in order to understand where your place is in Lux, you have to understand the dark part of our family as well."

"Uncle Allister." I interrupted, Dad seeming surprised.

"How did you know?"

"I saw him in a memory. He was in a jail cell." I told him, Dad sighing.

"Allister is my older brother, who is the current leader of Nox. He and his wife Marissa have launched Nox into the powerful position it's currently in, mostly due to his rare talent."

"Rare talent?" I was confused. Did this have anything to do with the blindfold over his eyes in my memory?

"The technical term for it is telekinetic soul transporting. The slang term is a soul skipper. Allister can transport his soul out of his body and into another, thereby possessing the owner and using their body in whatever manner he pleases. It's how he has kept Nox so strong, and how he had managed to break out of every prison cell we've put him in."