Epilogue

Several years later...

Mira Tomlinson was humming to the tune of the radio playing softly in the kitchen of her apartment. Her hands were hard at work chopping up vegetables on a cutting board, her quick feet moving around the kitchen to get ingredients and tools she would need to make dinner.

Her flurry of motion was quite the entertainment for the little baby boy sitting comfortably in his high chair. He was teething at a set of plastic imitation car keys as he watched, big blue eyes watching his mother run around.

He would occasionally babble or laugh to himself as he watched Mira prepare dinner, his gummy mouth opening to reveal a single tiny bottom tooth he had just gotten. His tiny dark blue beanie covered his head, but some dark tufts of hair poked out from the sides still. His comfy grey onesie kept him warm from the chilly winter outside, and Mira could see his tiny toes curling inside the extra socks she had put on him.

She smiled at her six month old once she finished preparing the soup Louis and her would have for dinner, going to the pantry and grabbing some of her son's baby food and a spoon to feed him dinner. Mira pulled a chair up to her baby, setting the spoon down on his little counter to pull the cover off of his applesauce.

The little one had grabbed the spoon and giggled at his mother, who smiled before taking the plastic spoon from his tiny grasp. Will had always loved applesauce, and had opened his mouth wide once he saw his mother hold the spoonful of puréed fruit out to him.

Mira had never understood why moms always made faces when they fed their babies until she had Will. Louis would always laugh at the ridiculous faces she would pull whenever she would feed their son, and Mira would only roll her eyes.

Will must have inherited his father's sense of humor, because the baby boy started giggling and dribbling applesauce down his chin and onto his clothes when Mira stuck out her tongue unconsciously.

"Oops, now we have to change." She told Will, who giggled in delight as Mira set the applesauce to the side and lifted him out of the high chair. With a glance to the clock, Mira realized it was almost time to go.

After quickly changing Will into something warmer and turning the heat off on the stove, her and Will set off towards the entrance to the Rift.

"Are you excited Will? Daddy's coming home today." Mira murmured to her son, who only babbled something unintelligible back.

Louis had been on a trip to a portal in Russia with Minerva for diplomatic purposes for the past week. Halfway through the week, Mira had gotten a text that Louis had come down with something and wasn't feeling well, so she would probably have to keep Will away from Louis until her husband was better. Today he was coming back, and Mira had soup and a warm, comfy bed ready for him back at home to rest and fight off his illness.

The walk to the edge of the Rift from the apartment wasn't long, and once Mira arrived, her heart was pounding with excitement to see her love again. She was sure Will was excited too, he was just getting impatient from the way he fiddled with his chubby fingers the small diamond pendent on her necklace she wore (it had been a first anniversary present from Louis).

Finally, they arrived.

First came Minerva, who was talking to an assistant over important matters as she was wheeled in the Rift in her telekinetic wheelchair. The important manners seemed to be forgotten as she spotted her granddaughter and great-grandson, taking Will into her arms and cooing at him. She handed the six-month old back reluctantly as another figure emerged from the shimmering barrier.

His nose was red, he was bundled up in jackets and he was wearing one of his and Will's matching beanies. It was obvious he was feeling poorly, but that still didn't stop the small smile on his face as he saw his wife and son approaching him.