xxvii. Free Fall

I had woken up alone in the cabin for the first time, Dad leaving me a note downstairs that he had to go to work early. I was going to be by myself the whole day, what with Dad at work and Louis in the Rift for his lessons.

I had changed, made myself cereal for breakfast, and done nothing but watch television for a while before I decided to go to my room and look over my photography stuff. I hadn't used my camera in a long time, I had been out and about with Louis so much.

Still, I was surprised at the number of pictures of Louis that were on my camera from when we first met and he took me to the creek. I smiled when I saw a photo that must have caught him off guard, his crystal eyes gazing into the creek and a thoughtful look on his face. I smiled before rushing downstairs to print it out, along with several others of him I thought were nice. After the printed pictures came out, I fumbled around in some old drawers for some picture frames, using my newest talent to search through drawers that were too high for me to reach. I managed to find a couple, and I spent an hour slipping photos of my boyfriend into them and scattering them around my room. I placed my absolute favorite in a golden frame next to my bedside lamp.

Louis had taken my camera and had some fun taking various photos of us, the one in the frame one he had snapped as he kissed my cheek, my arms around his neck and my eyes scrunched closed as I laughed.

A warm and fuzzy feeling blossomed in my chest as I stared at the picture, and it only grew as I remembered the pictures Louis had taken after that one that were still stored on the Canon. The flash must have been turned off and his finger must have stayed on the button since the photos captured the moments in the seconds right after it, neither of us noticing.

Louis' eyes had opened in the photos afterwards, the look in his eyes as he stared at me revealing his care for me. There was a spark in those eyes, a spark that would mirror his inner feelings. I never really noticed it when I was with him, but now that I thought about it, he always had that look around me.

When he told me about his world, he had that look. When he took me to the art museum, he had that look. When I was in the hospital, that look seemed to be greatly amplified, sharpened with a need to keep me happy and safe.

Almost every memory I had of Louis and I had that specific look in his eyes. That look, it wasn't a look people who only liked each other had. That look was the look every girl wanted to see when a boy looked at them. That look was the one grooms looked at their beautiful brides with, the look that husbands looked at their wives when they were both old and grey with. It was the look that all the cartoon princes looked at their princesses with. That look wasn't just any look, it was the look.

The look. That look was one of deeper feelings than just a petty crush. Could it be that Louis had deeper feelings for me than I previously thought? The idea was slightly scary and a bit exciting, I wasn't too sure what I was supposed to feel.

Despite both emotions playing tug-of-war inside me, I couldn't help but be worried. Did I feel the same way towards Louis as he did to me? I couldn't deny my feelings for him were strong, stronger than I could ever imagine. Still, if the time came, would I be able to confess my feelings for him to his face? I didn't know.

I sighed before deciding to give my mind a break. I grabbed a pair of ear buds off of my desk and looked for my phone to listen to music, but to my surprise, it wasn't in its usual place on my bedside table. I looked under the small table and even under my bed in case it had fallen off, but I couldn't find it. I groaned before heading downstairs to see if I had left it in the kitchen or in the living room this morning when I had been watching TV.

Just as I began to walk down the steps I had to stop, my hand pressing to my chest as I suddenly felt like I couldn't breathe. Breathing suddenly got harder for me, every breath feeling like I was a chain smoker. What was going on?

I tried coughing into my hand to clear my lungs, but when I pulled my hand away, my heart nearly stuttered to a stop.

There were speckles of pink on my hand, something that had most definitely never happened to me before. Was I starting to cough up blood? What was happening to me?

I used most of my strength to hurry to the kitchen phone, my heart starting to race irregularly with a frantic beat. I dialed the number Dad had taught me quickly, the moments of waiting for someone to pick up seeming like agonizing hours.

"911, what's your emergency?" I heard a woman ask, my lungs struggling to draw in a breath to let me speak. I did my best to take a deep breath and stay calm, but my deepest breath now was barely enough to get out a whisper.

"I-I can't breathe, and I think something's..." I had to pause to take another breath. "Something's wrong with my heart, please...please send help."

"Okay, just stay calm. What's your name and where are you?" The woman followed her routine, all the while I felt like my chest was closing up. My palms were becoming sweaty as I felt a pain in my chest, my eyes scrunching closed as I tried to concentrate. If I couldn't tell her who and where I was, she couldn't help me.

"M-Mira Lane, and...I'm at 5438 Old Briar-...Old Briarwood Street." I struggled to say, my breathing labored and strained.

"Okay, just hold on. An ambulance is on it's way, sweetie."

I was struggling to hold on as it was, dark spots littering my vision as I gripped the tabletop to keep myself from falling. This wasn't as bad as last time in the ice cream shop, but something was still very wrong. I coughed again, more of the pink-tinged substance covering my hand. I was starting to feel lightheaded and weak really fast, and I knew then I wouldn't last until an ambulance came. My knees gave out then, my body collapsing on the ground and making a sharp pain run through me as black covered my vision and the phone clattered to the wood a few feet away.

I saw Louis in some sort of gym, sweat dripping down his face and neck as he finished his bench press and racked the bar with heavy weights on the ends. He pulled his t-shirt up to swipe the sweat from his forehead before getting up from the bench and helping Liam take the weights off the bar and put them up. Liam must have been working out alongside him, his shirtless body revealing incredibly toned muscles.

"Wanna shower and then grab some lunch?" Liam offered as the both of them finished putting up the weights, Louis reaching down to grab two almost empty water bottles and tossing one to Liam.

"Sure, sounds good." Louis said before his face turned into a mild grimace, his hand pressing against his chest as if he was in pain. Liam's brows raised as he stared at Louis questionably.

"You alright?" Liam asked, Louis nodding as he coughed.

"Yeah, just gotta catch my breath." He assured his friend, but his hand pressing harder to his chest and his coughs turning worse proved otherwise. Liam gave him a strange look as he waited up for Louis.

"Hey, are you sure you're feeling alright? We can go to the healers if you're not." Liam reached his hand to grip Louis' shoulder, eyes full of concern for his friend.

"No, I'm good. I really...I..." Louis tried to say, but his face turned pale and his legs suddenly couldn't hold his weight. Liam hurried to catch his friend, holding him up by his arms.

"Okay, you're definitely not alright. We're going to the healers now." Liam said sternly, rushing to get Louis out of the gym. Louis was struggling to breathe, and just before his eyes rolled to the back of his head and his body fell limp in Liam's arms, he managed to mumble one thing:

"M-Mira's...hurt..."

A/N: Dramatic chapter omg I'm so sorry

I just went to see the new Avengers and let me say it was AWESOME

Dedication goes to @kgirl123387 for being the first awesome commentator on the last chapter <3

Also, new cover! Tell me your thoughts on it?

As always, vote and comment! <3, Maddie