xxxvi. Strength

A few days later, almost all of my runes had come in and been healed by Louis, making me a full fledged protector.

Well...almost a full fledged protector. I still needed some training.

Training to strengthen my protector talent was quite nerve-racking for me, since it mostly consisted of Louis and Dad throwing things at me to force me to block them. Dad explained that now that my runes were almost complete, whenever I was in danger they would immediately create a sort of safe haven bubble to protect me. Needless to say, it was quite funny watching as the two goofballs in my life threw pillows at me only to have the golden shield deflect them.

Things got a bit scary when Dad suggested Louis use his talents against me, but I had nothing to worry about. Louis had promised to start easy with water first, my eyes widening as the golden bubble shield had kept me perfectly dry. The same happened with Louis' fire, the flames hitting the shield and extinguishing immediately, my body unharmed. The rocks Louis threw broke apart into tiny pebbles, and the winds he diverted never knocked me down.

"Try electricity." Dad had confidently ordered Louis, both of our eyes becoming wide.

"Y-you sure?" Louis asked, my memory keeper talent remembering when he had almost hurt me in the hospital long ago with electricity.

"Positive. She won't get hurt." Dad said, folding his arms over his chest and leaning against one of the pillars on the back porch of the cabin.

Louis was hesitant, hands starting to shake as he mentally debated what to do. His lip was bitten as he struggled to believe I would be fine.

"It's okay." I called out to him, trying to relieve his stress. "I trust you."

Louis seemed surprised, eyes a bit wide before he settled himself. He took a shaky breath before I watched him do something I had never seen before.

He held his palms out in front of him before moving in a circle around each other. My own eyes became wide with amazement as I watched electric blue sparks begin to form and crackle between his hands. The sparks grew stronger and stronger, soon extending from his hands to dance along his skin in bright branches of electricity. His hair began to stick up on end, and his usually bright eyes turned almost a neon color as immense amps of electric current ran through his body. I was almost dazed as I watched my timid boyfriend turn into a human circuit.

The electricity was beautiful, the various shades of blue seeming like an art form similar to his tattoos. However, it was when Louis launched a spark towards me that I remembered how dangerous it was.

My eyes stayed open only from the sudden fear that arouse within me as the electricity came closer, my voice unable to help the small shriek that sounded as the sparks hit my shield.

They spread and crackled around my golden bubble before they suddenly broke into two: half reaching upwards to escape into the clouds and half jolting downwards into the earth. I heard a rumbling in the puffy clouds in the sky right after, my shield disappearing once the danger was gone.

Louis' face expressed extreme relief as he shot the rest of his electric charges into the sky in a flash of lightning, the thunder being heard again a few moments later. His hair was a bit messier and his eyes had returned to their normal color, and he was smiling softly at me.

"Told you she would be fine." Dad snickered as I practically skipped over to them, not one hair on my body harmed at all. "Protectors never get hurt unless they purposefully lower their shields."

I took Louis by surprise, hugging him from behind with a silly smile on my face. His head turned to look at me, his hands covering mine that had wrapped around his waist. I felt sparks dance inside my chest as our skin touched, the kind that people dreamed of having when they were with someone they cared about. I buried my face into Louis' back, pressing a kiss between his shoulder blades and feeling his tense muscles relax.