vi. Catch

Dad seemed worn out when he returned home from work that evening. He didn't say anything as he came in, only hung up his coat and placed the keys in their usual spot on the kitchen table.

"How was work?" I asked, Dad smiling faintly when he saw me sprawled out on the couch with a novel I had only started reading an hour prior to his return home. I placed my bookmark on my current page, shutting the book and placing it on the coffee table as I got up and hugged him tight.

"Exhausting. I feel so old now." Dad complained, a laugh escaping me.

"You're not old, Dad. You're experienced." I cleverly spoke, Dad chuckling as he hugged me tight before releasing me to go to the kitchen to see what we had to make dinner.

We ended up having chicken noodle soup from a can since our pantry was running low, Dad sighing as he realized he would have to go grocery shopping soon. We lounged on the old couch in the living room watching television as we ate our soup, Dad changing the channel from sports to cooking shows to reality shows. We ended up eating our soup while making fun of the spoiled women and idiotic men on reality TV until it grew late and Dad told me to get to bed.

I laid in bed for a while just thinking about Louis, who had insisted that I meet him in the forest again the next day. I dreamed of bright blue eyes and a contagious smile that night, my weak heart fluttering in my sleep.

And for once, I enjoyed the feeling.

I felt refreshed and ready for the day as I woke up the next morning. Dad seemed happy at my good mood, believing his wish for me to get some relaxation was finally working. He covered his eyes as I walked into the kitchen, already dressed in my favorite army green coat, jeans, a sweater and scarf along with some boots. I was excited to meet Louis, and I would be lying if I said I didn't give some special attention to my hair and face in preparation.

"I can't look, your happy glow is blinding." He joked, keeping his eyes shut as he tried navigating around the kitchen. I rolled my eyes as I laughed and kissed his cheek as a good morning.

"You're being silly, Dad." He smiled as he opened his eyes again and got my breakfast ready. Today was a microwave egg and cheese sandwich, complimented with a glass of apple juice and my three pills. I took the pills quickly before biting into my sandwich, finishing it as Dad got his cup of fancy coffee ready for his commute to work.

"I gotta go grocery shopping later today so I might come home a little later than usual today. Be safe and don't blind any unsuspecting hikers in the forest, okay?" Dad told me, making me laugh as he kissed my forehead before grabbing his things and leaving for work.

If only he knew I had already captured the attention of a certain hiker.

I grabbed my backpack and camera and bolted out of the cabin doors, anxious to meet Louis. The weather got colder last night, my already cold hands struggling to get some feeling into them from the chilly wind.

I hiked towards the tree we first met at, my mind having already memorized the route. I had a skip in my step today, my happy aura radiating all around me in imaginary sparkles.

Louis was waiting for me like he had been yesterday, his denim jeans only slightly darker than his navy coat with a shearling collar, a t-shirt underneath it. His smile I adored shone clear and bright as I approached him.

"Looks like someone's in a good mood." He said, walking up to me before taking a strand of my wavy hair in his fingertips. "I love your hair today."

Oh my God, he actually liked my hair. I felt butterflies in my stomach as Louis twirled my hair in his fingers before releasing it, watching it return to its place.