xlix. Focus

I breathed in the smell of pine and cologne that seemed to linger in the comfy bedsheets as I tried to relax. My hands wrapped the sheets around my body, turning me into a cocoon of blankets and warmth as I buried my face into my pillow. As happy as I was to be home, I was also petrified.

Louis had managed to persuade the head psychology healer to let me out of the healing center somehow later that day. The deal with my healer and my father had been that I could leave so long as Louis kept an eye on me, but I had to be brought back immediately if I had another hallucination of Allister or Nox. I had been given an orange bracelet on my wrist outlining my so called psychological problems, and I fiddled with it a bit as I felt the bed dip on the other side.

"Don't steal all the blankets, love." Louis whispered to me as he tugged some of the sheets away from my body and over his. His arms slipped under my t-shirt and wrapped around my stomach, pulling me close until I felt his warm skin next to mine. I felt Louis' lips on my neck as he lightly kissed over my pulse.

"Relax, you're okay." Louis tried to assure me, but I hadn't really been able to relax since we left the healing center. I think it was the stress of seeing Allister again that scared me more than actually seeing him, the fright of turning around and seeing his image making me always on high alert. Truth be told I hadn't relaxed since the night I first saw Allister. I was probably shedding years off of my life with how much I was stressed out, and the thought of that only added on to my high stress levels.

"I'm trying." I whispered, refusing to look at the beautiful boy next to me. My psychologist had told me I needed to start being more open with my feelings and thoughts with Louis.

Apparently bottling my feelings up might also have been a cause of the hallucinations, though I was still pretty sure Allister was using some kind of talent to mess with my mind. So I told him everything: the meeting, Allister's warnings, everything. Well, everything except the visions of Louis' past. I had figured that was a more personal confession, one I would share now.

"Everything's ok. Allister isn't going to hurt you, I won't let that happen." Louis rolled my body over so I was staring at him, allowing his fierce blue gaze to burn into mine. I nodded before taking a deep breath, deciding now was the best time to tell Lou of my visions of his memories.

"I have to tell you something." I mumbled, Louis' brows raising a bit. I was eternally grateful for his patience now, he was always so understanding and calm whenever I had explained everything to him.

"Alright." He propped himself up using his elbow to stare at me, keeping quiet as he waited for me to speak again.

"I-I've been seeing memories." I started, my hands clutching the sheets as I stared back at him.

"That's typically what memory keepers do." Louis smiled faintly as he tried to joke with me.

"They're memories of your past. When you were a baby." I revealed, Louis' smile turning downwards right away.

"My past?" He suddenly seemed serious.

"Yeah." I breathed out, waiting for his reaction. He was perplexed, his head tilting to one side as his brows furrowed.

"What have you seen?" He asked quietly, his eyes casting down to stare at the bedsheets.

"Um, a man and woman who took you in after the man found you at a firehouse, and your birth mother running with you in her arms-" I was cut off by Louis' hand on my shoulder.

"Wait...you saw my birth mother?" His eyes looked down as he mentally processed this information.

"Yeah. She was running away from Nox with you in her arms..." I trailed off when I saw the look on Louis' face. He was unnaturally quiet, and I didn't quite know what to make of it.